Autocrossing with SCCA

31rx7

I read the other thread about autocrossing, and rather than try to address all the points mentioned there, just decided to make it simple.

My son and I are autocrossing all local SCCA events this year. We are running the kalecoauto.com Dodge Neon, STS #31 and #131 (an appropriate sponsor for the car...). I have been autocrossing since...well, a hell of a long time. Some years very serious, sometimes more for fun. I've driven all sorts of cars with reasonable success, and feel I have a lot of good, general knowledge about the sport.

In any case, for any CR member that comes out to an Ohio Valley Region SCCA event for the remainder of the year, I would be happy to help you out. It seems a lot of people are interested in it, and like anything it takes some time to get good at it. It is easy to get intimidated when you start out, especially if the mods you've already done to your car put it in some really fast class. Just come up and introduce yourself, and I will spend time with you, walk the course, and give you pointers where I can.

OVR SCCA Solo II schedule:

http://www.ovr-scca.org/eventSchedules/solo.asp

You should also read:

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Have fun!

Rich

Hey, I wanna start autocrossing my Miata. I don't have any autocross experience but I do have quite a few miles (400+) of the Tail of the Dragon under my belt.

The way it looks right now, I should be able to make it to the July 9th @ OSU. My Miata is basically stock: cone filter, Falken ZE-512s.

Is there anything special that I need to bring, or have with me? What's the dress requirement, helmet etc?

Thanks, Jacob

ive seen the car, glad your not in g stock ;)

Me too. I am too cheap to be buying Hoosiers on a regular basis!

The STS tires are about the same in terms of feel, grip, and wear as the R compound tires from the late 1980's / early 1990's. And, a bunch cheaper.

Me too. I am too cheap to be buying Hoosiers on a regular basis!

The STS tires are about the same in terms of feel, grip, and wear as the R compound tires from the late 1980's / early 1990's. And, a bunch cheaper.

got mine for free at the runoffs last year at mid ohio so i got lucky

got mine for free at the runoffs last year at mid ohio so i got lucky

Your also about due to replace those too!! :D

When's the next event up your way? I may and still try to make it up there sometime this year.

I saw the car Rich, that thing is clean as hell! Don't see too many older rx7's like that anymore.

Thanks. It is a great car - unfortunately the market value even for a nice 1st gen RX7 is not very high. If I had to guess, it will end up in long term storage as I don't want to just give it away. Now is the time to find and store the nice ones before they get expensive.

On another note, I was pleased with how the Neon ran yesterday. My son struggled - he is usually only 1 sec behind me, but yesterday he was 2.5 seconds behind. It was a difficult course for a novice to really be fast on - a lot going on, and one mistake messed up the next three turns.

I should have won but made a mistake on my last run. A couple more tweaks to the car and a few more to the driver, and we should be good to go!

I was working turn 3 during your heat, you moved through that tough area well, your son was much slower through there. That was a section better where better than half the people were screwing it up, I did on 2 of my laps, it was a tough area in turn 3.

I was happy with my car and my driving, though with 2 national level cars in my class posting near ftd times I was only able to manage 4th place, but I knew I couldnt win with those guys showing up. I at least got to compare my times to a national level driver and see how far behind I am(and it's a lot).

Always good to have a benchmark. That EP Civic is a well prepped and well driven car.

Though it has its flaws, I use the PAX indexed event standings to help me figure out how I am improving event over event. My goal is generally to move up a few spots from one event to the next, and at a minimum not move back. When I get consistently into the top 10%, then I will be happy...for awhile at least.

what did you run time wise 31rx7?

My best was a 49.8 on my fourth run, and I made mistakes. Hoover in the red and yellow Civic had a 49.7, and another car had a 49.5 with a cone. My last run was a 50.0 and I made a mistake at the 180 at worker station 3 where you were, costing me at least several tenths, so I am thinking a 49.3 or 49.4 was quite possible.

The PAX index for STS is about the same as DS, and they were in the low 49 range, so my class should have been a bit quicker overall. However, we ran first heat and the track was a little dirty.

nice run, my best of the day was a 51.1. not too shabby for a 133k GS car on free hoosiers.

i actually worked grid that day, my goal was to break into the 50s but on my last run i pushed a little too hard on the last run and ruined that oh well.

nice run, my best of the day was a 51.1. not too shabby for a 133k GS car on free hoosiers.

i actually worked grid that day, my goal was to break into the 50s but on my last run i pushed a little too hard on the last run and ruined that oh well.

I have only looked at your car from a distance, but would say that is quite good given the basic level of car prep, it's age, and mileage.

There was a kid in an HS Civic LX, a 2002 I believe, that turned a 50.4 on Kumho's, no other car prep. That was moving in that car!