Valve Adjustments???

ousley99

:confused:Anyone know when you typically need to take your new bike in for a valve adjustment? Mine has been tapping since the first day I bought it and Ive been told that with the Kawaskis it is normal. After this weekend the tapping has become really loud, and I have a bad feeling about it, especially since an 07 stock zx10 made 6 horsepower more on the dyno saturday night! (And NO I did not participate in any high revving stupidy at all this wknd)...

Any thoughts? I'm 30 days out of warranty, and still trying to get it bought back for the transmission issues!

and dont bother about taking the drain plug out just unscrew the filter and fire it up. it will pump all the oil out for you and you dont have to worry about gettin on your knees and messing with that pesky drain plug. ;)

Suzi says 20k on theirs, but from what I hear you rarely need to adjust them unless there is abnormal wear. I'd be willing to say that your oil is losing viscosity, it's 3k or 3months. Oil will break down naturally and I wouldn't leave it in an engine for a year regardless how how little it's been used with out some sort of stabilizer in it, and at that I'd change it as soon as I planned on using it. I'd also pull out your owners manual and check the heat ranges they recommend and go maybe with a heavier oil for the summer.

That is correct, but you must keep it at the rev limiter for at least 90 seconds to ensure proper oil drainage.

Heck you might not even have to remove your lower fairings.

Thanks for the suggestions! :bow:

Suzi says 20k on theirs, but from what I hear you rarely need to adjust them unless there is abnormal wear. I'd be willing to say that your oil is losing viscosity, it's 3k or 3months. Oil will break down naturally and I wouldn't leave it in an engine for a year regardless how how little it's been used with out some sort of stabilizer in it, and at that I'd change it as soon as I planned on using it. I'd also pull out your owners manual and check the heat ranges they recommend and go maybe with a heavier oil for the summer.

Yeah, I dont think many hondas even need adjusted after 16k

I'll tell ya what, this bike has been the biggest pain in my butt since the day I bought it.. If I ever get it bought back I might go back to my roots and Ride Red. I've never owned a Honda street bike, but the factory and manufacturer support that I recieved from Honda when racing was top notch compared to Kaw..

I'll tell ya what, this bike has been the biggest pain in my butt since the day I bought it.. If I ever get it bought back I might go back to my roots and Ride Red. I've never owned a Honda street bike, but the factory and manufacturer support that I recieved from Honda when racing was top notch compared to Kaw..

:bow: I have yet to really have a problem with the three honda sportbikes I've owned.