Help with video camera

99ta

How do I get footage from my video camera to the comp. The only outlet I have on my camera is the s-video. I think. I have a sony handycam trv-118? Radio shack didn't know. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric

Yeah, that's just a HI8 camcorder. Get a video input device for your computer. Dazzle makes a good one, as does ATI. They have them at Best Buy in the computer department. They're over by video cards. I think they start at about $50. They plug into the USB port on your computer, and have A/V inputs for the camcorder. They also come with the software to get you started.

The guy at radio shack said I could get an s-video drive on my comp and that would work too? Any opinions on that? Thanks a ton guys!

Eric

I think he meant an s-video input video card. A lot of video cards have s-video inputs. That'll work to, but it involves opening your PC and replacing the video card. And, often this is more expensive and less effecient then just buying the convertor box. For instance, the ATI All-in-Wonder 2006 is $130. It comes with Pinnacle Studio 9.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7385821&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01054&id=1122654704617

This external USB box comes with Pinnacle Studio 10, InstantDVD Recorder, and MediaManager for $102. You can use this on any PC (and Mac I believe).

It all depends on what you want. Do you want to upgrade your video card and be able to import and edit video?

Or do you want to be able to import and edit video on your PC, maybe your laptop, your buddy's PC, etc?

My preference would be the external box. It would be more versatile.