Small block chevy starter

boostedgtp

What would be the hotness starter to go with, if i had a 10:1-12:1 comp small block? Im not excatllly sure what compression the engine is and the owner has told me she has put two starters in the car already. Im looking at this one from GM performance -> http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?perfPackages=1&pkgid=110 at the bottom of the page. Does anyone has one of these on there ride?

C Money

I haven't used the high torque ones yet. It would be best if you had the bigger 168 tooth flywheel as far as starting goes. Corvette starters are good for us offroad guys since their sealed.

Evan

My 383 sbc is 11.1:1 and I run a remanufactured starter from Autozone. The part number is 3510. I have had it on there since I built the engine(30,000 miles) and a few thousand on the 350 that preceeded it. If you can't start it with the standard factory high torque, then you have a problem. The only time you should need a "hi-output mini starter" is if you have header clearance problems or on a 13:1 or up engine. The 3510 is the same motor(possibly different nose piece) that GM put on every v-8 other than the diesel. Make sure that the wire from the case to the solenoid stud comes out at the very end farthest from the alum nose piece, that indicates it is a high torque.

Guest Removed

what really helps with heat soaked gm starters, is wiring it with a ford soilniod!!!!

did it on brians truck , never again had a hot start issue!

Guest Lowered_93_SBC_S10
my dad has s 750 horse 350 12.51 comp over 700 lift roller cam and used a stock 79 gmc truck starter from autozone cars been done for about 10 years 25000 miles now problems at all

Well i think the starters that have been on this car have been rebuilt, so i think im gonna try a new mini starter either gm or jegs. This engine is suppost to be a wiston cup motor so I would think it would have a decent compression ratio. Either way, thanks for the feedback boys.

Carl

Guest Lowered_93_SBC_S10
our motor is a high ass compression motor built to nascar specs we was going to try to run it in arca. its a fun ass street car now if you have hung out at central point its was in a red oxide primer 70ss tubbed nova with tunnel ram black vynal top

Sorry to disappoint, but what you have there is a run of the mill 23 degree iron head small block chevy. Nothing wrong with that and it might make decent horsepower and torque. But it is not what is being run in Winston/Nextel Cup.

<<<---Something similar to this is what is found under the hoods of today's Cup cars.

Guest Removed

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_0206.jpg

this was built for a high dollar roundy pounder....

works ok in a drag application...with a much larger carb....

and these are aluminum 23degree heads... not 18 like a cup motor, but it still cranks out 650 at the flywheel..with more cr(13.75 to 1)

Its no disapointment to me, im just working on it. Do you have a bigger pic of that motor? Nate told me your car is quite the tira fryar.

Here is the old girl in her current state.

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=302631HmIW&i=284325

Not exactly what is run in Nextel Cup but similar.

who is calling this a cup motor?

hope they didnt pay over 1 or 2 k for it....thats not very built!!!! hell it has stock heads on it, and not even good ones at that!!!

cup motor...bawhahahahahahahaha

i must have a top fuel engine then!!!!!

lol, dude dont stay up too late worrying about it, ok.

Nice lookin piece you got there tinman.