Teaser Vid: Built 16v 4AG

Farkas

I linked a video with a good example of how my engine should sound for you people that aren't sure what dual Side Draft Carbs on a 4AG sound like. Again, the sound of NA and Carbs on these motors are rediculous.. and surely something to hear. I looked up the specs on his car and his build up is very similar to mine except he has a few little changes. They took it up to 9500rpm's simply because it wont make any more power above that with those cams but it'll easily hold up to 10k+ rpms. Ueo Katsuhiro in the D1 series has an almost identical Formula Atlantic build in his corolla and he's making power up to 12,500rpms.. If I can find a video of that i'll post.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5804122519147158991&q=hachi+roku

His Setup:

82mm Piston

Camshafts 300in, 290ex

Jun Connecting rods

TRD N2 Crank

TRD 0.8mm Head Gasket

FCR Carbs

MSD 6AL Ignition Box

Power: ~180rwhp

Weight: ~1918lb

My Setup:

81.5mm Piston

Camshafts 304in, 288ex

Stock ARP'd rods

Balanced Crank

TRD 0.5mm Head Gasket

Weber 45mm DCOE carbs

MSD 6AL Ignition Box

Power: Aiming for ~190'ish hp

Weight: Trying to get ~2000'ish

The only car that can be refered to as "16v" as a proper nounis the 190e 2.3-2.5 16v. The Evo-II version of which made 240bhp stock in the late 80's early 90's. The DTM cars made 450bhp and spun to 12,000rpm. Never a turbo charger or supercharger was used.

cuz I said so. :p

Nice car btw, looks fun.

The only car that can be refered to as "16v" as a proper nounis the 190e 2.3-2.5 16v. The Evo-II version of which made 240bhp stock in the late 80's early 90's. The DTM cars made 450bhp and spun to 12,000rpm. Never a turbo charger or supercharger was used.

Nice car btw, looks fun.

No, you're right lol.. those engines make some serious power. Gotta love the engineering back in the 80's and early 90's. Anymore everyone just wants to slap a SC or Turbo on whatever car.. it just doesn't cut it for me. I'm all about the sweet sound of open throttles/carbs.. and raw NA power. But in reality it's much cheaper to get a power fix from a SC or Turbo.

Guest BlackBimmer

Nice car btw, looks fun.

Don't forget the E30 M3. I mean the EVO II Benz's are great and all but who won the most championships out of all of them? THAT'S RIGHT, THE BMW! I would give my first born for clean examples of both of those cars though. I'm considering an E30 M3 when I'm done building my '73 2002.

Only place you'll ever see a crowd of people gathering to watch a car dyno 180rwhp......................

Its not as easy as youd think to break that 200bhp mark in something so small and dated. You can argue that the B16 can do it, and its true, it can, but it has to do it with HUGE high cam specs that wouldnt allow proper idel anywhere near 700-800rpm... something that the 4AG doesnt have the technology to support.

Now other larger engines that can make the power stock, make it at some rediculous RPM, and make garbage for torque.

Some engines, mainly Nissan and GM (KA24, Quad, TC, Eco, Iron Duke) that are stroked to high hell are very difficult to hit that mark. They can make 200lb-ft without blinking, but struggle to hit that highpower because of the stroke. Think of a 283, stroked to 302... cut that in half, and thats what youre dealing with lol. When pistons cover 4.700" 12,000 times a minute (6000rpm), suddenly... grams matter. I once figured that at 4.700" (94mm), running at 6000rpm, a piston travels from 0-143mph-0 in .005 seconds... the stresses are rediculous. If you take 30 corvettes, stacked them up, then balanced them all on a $10 roll of Quarters... the pressure that is applied to the bottom quater in the roll, is about equal to what a wrist pin sees at 6k in a engine with a stroke as such.

Sounded like a Civic with an exhaust to me...honestly...

:confused:

you have to listen to whats behind the exhaust sound... listen for the little reverberations in the tone of the engine... sorta like what it sounds like making car noises infront of a fan lol. To an untrained ear, it may sound just like a Civic... but if you really listen, each engine has its own unique sound. If you want to hear a really bad ass V8.... no not a LSx lol... listen to a ITB equipped 1UZFE. Beautiful.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/ITB/0/7b692cb1-db71-418e-b4d6-3b5fb0148d73.htm

I have always loved the sound of those engines. And no, it doesnt sound like a Civic at all.

....although I have heard this one Civic that runs around Columbus that actually sounds a lot like a WRX....

*waits for verse to make some stupid comment about not knowing anything about the car, and how lovemy86 searched for hachi roku*

Edit: I am just curious. As a Corolla enthusiast who seems to be true to the N/A potential of the original engine, what do you think about some of the engine swaps that people do? For example, the F20C's (like this from BMHV - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2515773052631380413&q= , the SR20's, ect ect.

When I get it done, and you see me at the meets on weekend come over and i'll let you listen to the difference for yourself.

My post intent actually came out wrong and reading back I feel I didn't explain myself, which I didn't at all.

I was just referring to that video.

I am sure in person there is a huge difference.

:)

Edit: I am just curious. As a Corolla enthusiast who seems to be true to the N/A potential of the original engine, what do you think about some of the engine swaps that people do? For example, the F20C's (like this from BMHV - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2515773052631380413&q= , the SR20's, ect ect.

I think the F20C and all the other swaps are cool, but it's not something I really would ever consider.. There's some kind of Nostalgic attachment when it comes to the 4AG. The sound of it, the feeling of it, and I think it's a pretty neat looking engine.. also seeing how it's a 20 year old design I think it's amazing how far they've come in developement even if the design is obsolete.. squeezing all the power out of them really takes a lot of patience and skill IMO.

One of my favorite videos of all time is the now famous Best Motoring video that was completely about Levins and Truenos. Especially the race they had toward the end between the 5 or 6 NA race tuned 4AG's, all using different tuning approaches and styles.

....actually I may go dig up that video and watch it right now lol