RWTD Tuning

Guest Hal

I just put a runnin' with the devil tune in my car, and the difference is night and day. It pulls so much harder than it ever did, and I am finally confident in being able to run what it has. For a mail order tune I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but for $75 (for 6 months unlimited tunes) before I can afford dynotune it is amazing. I would highly recommend them to anyone with an 03-04 cobra looking to get a nice cheap tune while waiting to get dyno tuned.

Their customer service was just as good as the tune. I requested an N20 tune and that's all, but, after talking to the tuner he went above and beyond. Without me saying a word about wanting more tunes, he went ahead and wrote me two N20 tunes and a pulley tune within 2 days. These guys are great and definitely worth a look.

Copy and paste? I'm confused...

Mail-order tunes have a reputation for being "cookie cutter" in nature - that is, you aren't really getting a "custom" tune, you're just getting some generic tune that is presented as though it's "custom" made for your car. Sure, they may alter a thing here or there, but it's far less "custom" than (1) it's made to be and (2) what you'd get if you actually put it up on the dyno and had a tuner there to manipulate the variables. In the defense of mail-order tunes, there really is only so much they can do, especially from a liability standpoint. Think about it, they can't add a bunch of timing and tweak the tune to lean the car way out because then they'd be in trouble for blowing up everybody's car. In any event, I think Linn was playing on the whole "cookie cutter" image by implying (accurately, I think) that tunes like that are pretty much "copy and paste." Not that their customer service can't be good, it's just that there's only so much you can get out of those kind of mail order tunes.

I see, it took a nap for me to be able to understand that lol. I would agree with the cookie cutter thing. The only way they can really go more in depth is if you're running a wideband setup and you datalog runs so they can tune to that. Even when that's done it's too difficult to get a true tune. I'm mainly happy because it gets rid of the damn predator tune, and puts more (or less depending on the tune) timing in the car. I'm actually able to run what I brung with this setup. Could I get more power from brian? Yes, and I will here in a little while. Is this a hell of a lot safer than the original tune? Yes, and that makes me happy. Overall I am pleased, but there is still a lot of work left to be done. For $75 though, it's a good first step.

PS. Doc, I saw you put a number like 600 wtq down in your cobra correct? What was your setup when you hit that?

PS. Doc, I saw you put a number like 600 wtq down in your cobra correct? What was your setup when you hit that?

If I remember correctly, it was 480rwhp and 630rwtq on a 2.93 pulley/chip/flowmaster cat-back exhaust/50-shot from a dry kit.

Mail-order tunes have a reputation for being "cookie cutter" in nature - that is, you aren't really getting a "custom" tune, you're just getting some generic tune that is presented as though it's "custom" made for your car. Sure, they may alter a thing here or there, but it's far less "custom" than (1) it's made to be and (2) what you'd get if you actually put it up on the dyno and had a tuner there to manipulate the variables. In the defense of mail-order tunes, there really is only so much they can do, especially from a liability standpoint. Think about it, they can't add a bunch of timing and tweak the tune to lean the car way out because then they'd be in trouble for blowing up everybody's car. In any event, I think Linn was playing on the whole "cookie cutter" image by implying (accurately, I think) that tunes like that are pretty much "copy and paste." Not that their customer service can't be good, it's just that there's only so much you can get out of those kind of mail order tunes.

nail on head.