abandond cars

Mike_Shepard

Does anyone now if someone can claim a car after it has been abandond for a certain period of time say 3 months? I found a car I want thats been sitting on public property for said amount of time with no movement whatso ever and I've tried searching to find out who's it is to buy it with no luck, Any help or experience with this before?

It has to be on your property to be able to do it. It's a long process, and involves sending registered letters to the owner asking for them to remove it. If its on public property I really doubt there is anything you can legally do.

There was a car parked in front of someone's house on the street (this was in another state) and they called the police after a few days. Notices were put on the car and I believe sent to the car register's address and when nobody claimed it, they had it towed. They didn't want the car at all, though. Point is, even on a public street there may be some options. Don't know what the law is in Ohio. You could always try the DMV and start with the questions.

If there is a tag, I believe if you go to the BMV and put in a request, they will give you the information on the owner. I believe it is public knowledge.

As of 6 mos ago, no. They won't give it up.

If it isnt on your property give up.