When will there ever be a post of someone working on there own shit?

Mattsv8

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to but between my job and now kids, not enough time in the day to justify it any longer....but then, building up a motor and tearing it down was never really my specialty. I always had my buddy across the street there to help just in case I couldn't handle the project. for now, I'll live through you two then :)

I see a lot of people posting pics and videos of their shit. but built buy other people. Does anyone in here work on there own shit besides me and rob that i know of? just curious.

I work on my own car. In fact, I'll be pulling my T5 to rebuild it this weekend. You want to lend a hand?

-Mike

I've put so much time and dedication into my car it's rediculous.. I've basically rebuilt the car with my own two hands from the ground up. Granted I didn't spray my car but I did do all the body work myself, and also I don't have a machine shop to do my own head and block work, i'm still assembling everything myself. So for anyone to assume i've done crap to my car is retarded.. There isn't one nut or bolt on my car that hasn't been touched by yours truely.

I've:

Done General maintanence

Done the bodywork

Swapped Transmissions

Swapped Rear-ends

Rebuilt my LSD

Rebuilt my calipers

Swapped in a new Dash and interior pieces

Upgraded Clutch and clutch cylinders

Custom fabricated short stroke coilovers

Built my suspension

Rolled my fenders

Replaced my bushings

Replaced bearings

Exhaust

Headgaskets

I'm currently rebuilding my motor and building it up

etc.

etc.

you name it, I've either rebuilt it, replaced it or custom built it myself lol. I will admit I've had v3rs3's help on occasion but just goes to show you how much work I've put into my car.

I get a lot of people from CR to do my shit, with promises of free beer and pizza, but I help now and again. Didn't you see my pics from earlier this year when the top end of my engine was apart?

Fixed it for ya... :p

I've done or assisted on most of the work on my toys, save the tranny rebuilds I've had to do. And the gears in the '86 (thanks Fowler ;)). I just swapped the clutch in my '86 last weekend... :nod:

I have done my own build. But, at certain points you have to get the help of the best qualified person. By no means have I just dropped the car off to be worked on though.

As far as doing it yourself or having someone do it for you, it's just preferance. I'm in a shirt and tie everyday and wanted to know this car. So it took me 8 months to work my build. My BMW, I didn't want to do shit to it on my own. I wanted to understand the rotary function more, so I tore it down and helped put it together. Thing is, I still don't know what every part is called. And it is not like if I had to do it again I would not need any help. I think it is your knowldge base . I'm not the guy who is going to tear something apart and think I can just put it back together if I know nothing about it, or have no experiance with it. I really don't think it matters if you do the work or not though. It takes A LOT of time. If you don't have the time to put into it, take it to who is going to do it the way you want it done. For someone to say it's weak to have someone else build your car for you, is just ignorant. Time is hard to come by. Doesn't mean you won't know how to drive it because you didn't turn the wrench. My .02.

Fixed it for ya... :p

I've done or assisted on most of the work on my toys, save the tranny rebuilds I've had to do. And the gears in the '86 (thanks Fowler ;)). I just swapped the clutch in my '86 last weekend... :nod:

Lemme show you my scars, or the blood dried on those damned cowl fasteners on the underside :p

I did my heads, cam, intake and nitrous shit, headers. I didnt do the shortblock or the tranny.

Here is me tearing the motor apart after it blew.

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/small%20car%20pics/Picture%20008.jpg

Pics of the old motor apart

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/Picture%20001.jpg

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/Picture%20002.jpg

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/Picture%20003.jpg

New motor 95% put back together

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/Car%20related%20Pics/small%20car%20pics/Picture%20001.jpg

So no I have never touched a wrench ever..

Guest powers
I see a lot of people posting pics and videos of their shit. but built buy other people. Does anyone in here work on there own shit besides me and rob that i know of? just curious.

I have never seen you post pics of your work, but I could be wrong.

Pull your truck into that fucking shed that's in your sig and close the door.

Start up the motor.

Work away on your engine like a good little mechanic. Ignore any dizziness or lightheadness - that's just your body telling you that you need to take bigger, deeper breaths.

Pull your truck into that fucking shed that's in your sig and close the door.

Start up the motor.

Work away on your engine like a good little mechanic. Ignore any dizziness or lightheadness - that's just your body telling you that you need to take bigger, deeper breaths.

It's not like just one line in this post is funny. I was LOL on every line. Nice work Tilly.

Honestly, who cares?

When you're spending a lot of money on parts to go fast it's best to take it to the people that are most qualified to put it together. Then a) it runs properly the first time and b) your car's not down a long time. A lot of people have 9-5 jobs and don't necessarily want to come home to crank in the garage all night while their wife, g/f, etc. bitches at them.

That said, I did all the work on my Mazda and I am doing most of the work on my Saturn. But it doesn't fucking matter.