When will there ever be a post of someone working on there own shit?

Mattsv8

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work on mine as much as possible but with work and BMX a more qualified person with a Garage "Wich I dont have at my house" and the right tools and Qualifications is better I drop it off Pay the extra money to have it done right,

Maybe when I'm older and have more time and The right tools and my garage I will be able to do more indepth work on my car like pulling the motor and rebuilding it my self, I would love to do that so bad!

Guest Removed
I see a lot of people posting pics and videos of their shit. but built buy other people. Does anyone in here work on there own shit besides me and rob that i know of? just curious.

Do you rebuild your trannys? what about carbs? ;)

I work on alot of other peoples shit too :asshole:

No mechanic will work on my cars. Chrysler says it's a Mitsu. No Mitsu dealer in Columbus is old enough have any books on the cars. Basically, I don't trust anybody else to work on the cars.

Now, I think you are kinda implying that having somebody else build your car is a puss move. I have to agree with that. If I had the scratch laying around I would puss out and have someone else build my car for me too. ;) But it ain't like I'm driving an $80K

Bimmer ya know?

CJ

Guest powers

So people who do not build their home but enjoy doing small to medium projects around the house are lame? People who blow up trannys and pay someone else to fix it are lame? This list could go on and on.

Not everyone is the same, and not everyone even WANTS to work on their car. I mean I enjoy knowing how to work on a car, but that does not mean that the next guy gives a flying fuck. Everyone in this thread spends money on items they could have made if they knew how to, but they said huh perhaps my toster oven will work better if I go buy one rather than build one myself. Becasue let's be honest who wants a toster oven made out of old server cases on your kitchen counter.

I can do minor work such as bolt ons, installing springs/shocks, car audio, interior work. I will admit Im still learning how to do everything, but I am going to school at UTI arizona next year to work on cars for a living so I will eventually do it all myself.

Where do you draw the line? Ok, so you could install a suspension on your car, but did you design it? Build it? Did you even choose the spring rates? Why not? Oh, right, because people with experience can do it better.

Who cares who put your engine together besides you? But still, you would have just assembled it. You didn't design and machine the rods and pistons yourself. You would have just ordered it out of a catelog. That's lazy. I can't believe you paid someone else to work on your set up.

If you want to see real cars that people busted their own asses on, go to the Grassroots Motorsports $2006 Challenge. You'll have show quality vehicles that were put together for less then $2006 and they'll run as low as 11's in the quarter.

I see a lot of people posting pics and videos of their shit. but built buy other people. Does anyone in here work on there own shit besides me and rob that i know of? just curious.

As much as I possibly can do. Half the time I mess it up so I have to redo it..This is why I am always working on my car!

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/4594/img0259jc8.jpg

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/6874/img0302cm6.jpg

Yes you and rob are the only ones.

Why did you powdercoat your valvcovers blue.. am i the only one who sees this is wrong

I think everyone here gets the implication of this guy's post/thread: it's somehow weak/wrong/bad to have someone else do the work on your car. And that premise is just fucking stupid. End of dumb little story.

I'll be the first to admit that (1) I do very little work on my car and (2) I'd like to have the time to do more work on my car. However, #2 just isn't feasible the vast majority of the time. Further, I'll also admit that I think you appreciate the work more when you do it yourself. Again, though, there's the time factor for me: while I'd love to do a lot of stuff myself, I just don't have the time. That, and there are some things that, even if I had the time, I wouldn't want to do simply because I wouldn't have the experience/competence to do it. Like, I don't know, maybe installing a twin-turbo set-up on a Z06? ;)

Pull your truck into that fucking shed that's in your sig and close the door.

Start up the motor.

Work away on your engine like a good little mechanic. Ignore any dizziness or lightheadness - that's just your body telling you that you need to take bigger, deeper breaths.

I love how you can tell some one to go kill himself in such a nice way. It makes my day.

I prefer to work on my cars instead of taking them to a shop to have the work done. I have never really found a shop I can trust and that does the work the way I would like it. Plus I have always figured the money I save on labor can be used to buy more performance parts. ;) But to each his own, if you want someone else to do the work because you don't have the time, tools, etc so be it.

Shad

+ 1 on working crazy hours then coming home and trying to go out to the garage to spend some time with the "REAL" love of your life, but when you do this, or try to do this your girlfriend gets pissed. It seems like I can never win with this situation. I basically have to do most things myself because no one will really know whats going on under the hood of my car. There are a few custom things because I thought it might be cool to have an oldsmobile motor in a cavalier.