Ticket question

Sam1647545489

Ok remember that I did NOT get a ticket but I got pulled over for the craziest thing. Driving down high street downtown, not doin a damn thing at all. I was behind my girlfriend in her car. I was in the vette. I wasnt reving driving over the speed limit or anything. Cop goin the opposite direction does a complete u turn in the middle of the street and pulls me over. Comes to my window and says

Cop: Whats wrong with your mufflers

Me: Uh nothing that I know of

Cop: Dont you think they are alittle to loud

Me: Uh I dont think so

Cop: I pulled you over for your mufflers being to loud

Now can a cop do that, seriously.

I usually just give a puzzled look and say "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK MY DAD IS?"

Then speed off while giving the finger. Works sweet.

Awesome.

I don't know the sound ordinance laws, but I guess he'd have to test it to prove if it was too loud. Was that really the extent of the conversation?

Sam here is the Law:

Section 437.20 Muffler; Muffler Cutout; Excessive Smoke, Gas or Noise

(e) No person shall operate any motor vehicle which produces a sound or noise in excess of ninety-five decibels as measured not less than five feet from the source of such sound or noise. term "decibel" means a unit for measurement of relative sound levels as indicated by a sound level meter having those properties essential for the purpose of administration and enforcement of this section of a nature defined by the current American Standard Association Specification (Z 24.3-1944).

Unfortunatly many of the things that we do to our cars are questionably legal and provide just cause for getting pulled over. It's just something that I've come to accept as part of the hobby and try not to get bent out of shape over it.

I've been pulled over several times for violations that I really can't complain about....and (knock on wood) I've been very fortunat that I've only recieved tickets when I deserved them.

Andy

Awesome.

I don't know the sound ordinance laws, but I guess he'd have to test it to prove if it was too loud. Was that really the extent of the conversation?

Yes it was. He asked me if I was drinking and if it was alcohol he smelled, I told him it was leaded fuel. He kept saying that my "mufflers are broken". Funny thing was when I went by him the car was just idling, I had the clutch in while coming to a stop light. :rolleyes:

This is my biggest worry witht the FD. Quite speed is hard to come by. Audi is the only one that comes to mind with their race cars.

Getting pulled over always makes you think that they are finally catching up with you for what you didn't think they knew about.

I think its a bunch of crap that they hassle you for exhaust when there are so many Harleys running around that scream down the road. I had a POS honda with absolutly no exhaust that I drove down here for a year and I only got beef once in Upper Arlington (warning). They were in fact probabbly just "Tryin to catch ya ridin dirty".

Yes it was. He asked me if I was drinking and if it was alcohol he smelled, I told him it was leaded fuel. He kept saying that my "mufflers are broken". Funny thing was when I went by him the car was just idling, I had the clutch in while coming to a stop light. :rolleyes:

Sam if you did infact say it's leaded fuel that you were running, be glad you got a moron for a cop. A real dick for a cop would have said "really, leaded gas huh? So you deleted emmisions equipment......"

I would rather take the loudness ticket myself. But that is just my .02.

I think its a bunch of crap that they hassle you for exhaust when there are so many Harleys running around that scream down the road. I had a POS honda with absolutly no exhaust that I drove down here for a year and I only got beef once in Upper Arlington (warning). They were in fact probabbly just "Tryin to catch ya ridin dirty".

Loud pipes save lives.

Sam here is the Law:

(e) No person shall operate any motor vehicle which produces a sound or noise in excess of ninety-five decibels as measured not less than five feet from the source of such sound or noise. term "decibel" means a unit for measurement of relative sound levels as indicated by a sound level meter having those properties essential for the purpose of administration and enforcement of this section of a nature defined by the current American Standard Association Specification (Z 24.3-1944).

If this is now Columbus law, then it is an improvement. Previously it was the cops dscretion as to what was "too loud"

Go to court and fight you will win.

No you won't

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceGhost

Sam here is the Law:

I think that is Ohio code.

Columbus code is

2137.20 Mufflers; excessive smoke or gas.

(a)Every vehicle and motorcycle with an internal combustion engine shall at all times be equipped with a muffler which is in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, by-pass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway. Every motorcycle muffler shall be equipped with baffle plates. No person shall own, operate, or have in the person’s possession any vehicle or motorcycle equipped with a device for producing excessive smoke or gas, or so equipped as to permit oil or any other chemical to flow into or upon the exhaust pipe or muffler of such vehicle or motorcycle, or equipped in any other way to produce or emit smoke or dangerous or annoying gases from any portion of such vehicle, other than the ordinary gases emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine under normal operation.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one (1) year, the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section, Section 4513.22 of the Ohio Revised Code, or a substantially similar municipal ordinance, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one (1) year, the offender previously has been convicted of two (2) or more violations of this section, Section 4513.22 of the Ohio Revised Code, or a substantially similar municipal ordinance, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree. (ORC 4513.22; Ord. 2120-03 § 1 (part).)