power window electrical help

still2hi

First off this is on a 99 grand prix 4 door. Also I am decent with electrical but not a genuis.

I am having problems with the drivers side rear window. It will only go down with the rear controls, not the drivers controls.

If I jump the motor with a power supply it will go up and down. I have tested the leads going into the motor (coming from the switch) and both ways it shows 12 volts. So then I thought it was the plug (maybe a bad prong or something), so I went and got a new one. I hooked the wires together and still only goes down with the rear control, not the front. I cut the wires pushed the plug in and jumped the leads coming off the plug and the window went up and down. So this rules out: bad motor, bad plug, bad switch.

What else could it be?

Thanks for any help or suggents in advance.

Brandon

Guest 614Streets

You tested both sets of switches right? Did you check for power coming from the front switch? The wires may be colored white and purple. A easy way to isolate the area of the problem is to cut the 2 wires going into the motor coming from the front switch 1 at a time and then try the rear switch after each cut (reconnect 1 after cutting the other, it should go up and down now.

From there you have to determine is it the front switch or a short circuit. Remember The 2 switches work in series

Check the front switch. Check to see if the front door has a module or the car itself has a body controller module also.