Nelson Ledges Race Days Aug 9-10

Kosmo

I am going to see the fasttrax races for the first time on 9th, probably not 10th. I had no idea about this before Prettyeye talked about it in the intro section and gosh, we work at the same school and park in the same garage !!!!

May ride the track during lunch break. Planning to take the track/race schools in Sept/October. This place is more convenient to me rather than Midohio.

Here are the info if interested :

http://www.nelsonledges.com/

Fasttrax:

http://www.fastone.com/

I am going to see the fasttrax races for the first time on 9th, probably not 10th. I had no idea about this before Prettyeye talked about it in the intro section and gosh, we work at the same school and park in the same garage !!!!

May ride the track during lunch break. Planning to take the track/race schools in Sept/October. This place is more convenient to me rather than Midohio.

Here are the info if interested :

http://www.nelsonledges.com/

Fasttrax:

http://www.fastone.com/

Better double check if everything is still on. They sold the track and from what I've heard, the end of the season events have been cancelled.

Thank god they sold it. It was a shit hole... Maybe it can be saved...

Hay Kosmo! Your enthusiasm truly made the day! You beat the record for anyone that I have known for signing up for a track day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops, I mean street school *grin* GOOD JOB! I'm really, really glad for you and can't wait to hear about your experience. Please keep me posted. Like I said, I would LOVE to come and watch but I have to save all my vacation time now for maternity leave.

A million thank you's for all your help yesterday. It sucked that we blew the rear shock and could not finish the Iron Butt..that's racing. We still have a GREAT day and rider and bike still finished upright and thanks to you and Joe, everything was going smoothly despite mechanical stuff, we got Dorjan off to a good start and timing was going well.

My Canadian friends still visiting but they are leaving in a few so I''ll post pics/links in a little bit.

NL is not officially sold. The only unoffical pending news is October Fasttrax dates. Track isn't the best but it's still a lot of fun...it's all we got and we make the most of it :D

Track isn't the best but it's still a lot of fun...it's all we got and we make the most of it :D

It's unsafe. Period. Run off is rutted and poorly maintained. The run-off for riders at the 1:10 and lower mark is absolutely piss poor and ultra dangerous.

They have needed improvements for YEARS and simply ignore the comments stated by riders. Even the WERA National protests and eventual cancelling for future races hasn't caused them to act.

Racer Eddie Kraft even organized an effort to get some money gathered in an effort to show racers cared. Guess what? Nothing has been done.

It's a fun layout, a fun track, but dangerous and a place where you are more likely to get injured or worse compared to being able to walk away isn't a place I will race or ride anymore...

Their "schools" cost more or are equal to those at other safer facilities and their track days cost as much as going to Mid-Ohio...

The racing via Fastraxx costs as much as any WERA regionals. If you live within 20-45 minutes, it maybe makes sense budget wise, but honestly, what's your health and life worth? Harsh comments, but reality sucks sometimes...

Well, I don't care. It's in my backyard and that's it. My requirements are small and I am not going to be a AMA racer. But here I see some young racers growing up to AMA. I have ridden the track in the lunch ride and it's bumpy would love to see a repaving but will do with me to start. So many fasttrax family racers from PA, Kentucky and Wisconsin made it fun. Dangerous is a relative word, Michael Schumacher thought Indy 500 is hell of a dangerous sports :D

I will post some pics in the pictures section.

yea, i know how you feel, lizard, ain't nothing new from what I read on localriders, at least you are consistent :D

i am no where near 1:10 mark :D so that is not a worry to me although I can understand the danger for those doing 1:10 and even then yall know what it's like so don't do it and in fact you don't

i like the friday pm practice for $75 (fasttrax race license or speed certified), you can't beat that and if you do fasttrax days, it's $125, if u aren't racing, you can do practice in the morning for $75, different folks for different folks, that's what..anyways

what do i know? I just know that we had a ton of fun with all our friends and it was a safe day in the end despite mechanical mishaps but we'll be out there again! don't be a hater

oh before i forget, i promised the link to mylaps times when they got posted

here are the times for saturday endurance race

http://mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=916980

hehehe you gonna be a track rat now!!!

I look forward to meeting your family! still wanna see pics of the races you did! I almost want to try one of those LOL

yea, i know how you feel, lizard, ain't nothing new from what I read on localriders, at least you are consistent :D

i am no where near 1:10 mark :D so that is not a worry to me although I can understand the danger for those doing 1:10 and even then yall know what it's like so don't do it and in fact you don't

i like the friday pm practice for $75 (fasttrax race license or speed certified), you can't beat that and if you do fasttrax days, it's $125, if u aren't racing, you can do practice in the morning for $75, different folks for different folks, that's what..anyways

what do i know? I just know that we had a ton of fun with all our friends and it was a safe day in the end despite mechanical mishaps but we'll be out there again! don't be a hater

I understand the fun factor, the comroddery (I've NEVER bashed FT for anything of that nature or lack thereof), the ability to hang with fellow racers that want to win, etc.

However, I've seen a LOT of friends get seriously hurt there. You're right. I went last year at the beginning of the season and although I finished second behind Doug, I wasn't going to push to keep up with him and was far enough ahead of third, I could cruise around.

The thing is that the track was so bad that I literally decided after the mid point of race one that I wasn't coming back. I went up to help some friends at the National and I was in consensus that it was too dangerous for racing there. I talked to Tripp Nobles and in a side bar, he told me and Reuben that he couldn't believe anyone raced there that had any sense.

It has nothing to do with friends, comradery, etc. It shouldn't be used as a track to go to just because it is 20 minutes away. We all can make decisions on our own and I agree to that, but saying you're not going to be an AMA Pro is stupid reasoning. Sorry to be blunt.

They airlifted a novice out of there last year that almost died. He wasn't AMA Pro caliber.

There are too many issues like poor run off, ruts in the grass areas that I have seen take a rider down and break his collar bone after getting down to school zone speed. The tire walls almost ended the career of a really goo friend of mine. It can hurt anyone.

It's all a moot point anyways as the track is going to be redone and hopefully well. It's official as it was topic of discussion at the dinner table tonight and it was talked about from some people who would be in the know. It may not be 100% official in press or whatnot, but it isn't going to be an issue from here on.

The thing about Nelson is that the locals love it there. They're passionate about the track and that's cool, but they need to be honest with themselves instead of making up reasons it is good. "If you can ride Nelson, you can ride anywhere..." WHAT?!?!? Seriously, is safety no a consideration in what you do? Be safe up there. Have a ton of fun. But, don't sugar coat it with tales of fun and excitement to stray away from the topic of safety...

I like you, Pretty Eye. We've met and I thought you were really cool. Answer me this... Is Nelson safe?

• 3 months later...