Twin Turbo on an LS1

V8 Beast

Here is where I am at now. For the cost with respect to hp gain, NX is a better option. First I get a bigger cam, stall, fuel rails, etc. Then I install a 3 stage kit with 75 per stage, or a 2 stage kit with about 125 per stage. I want a turbo, but spraying just makes more sense FTW. Any of you turbo guys know of any reasons why I shouldnt do it?

Bill is right, you should do engine with nitrous, and achieve an even higher hp/tq than with the turbo(s). You could spend 5k on the engine and $1000 on the nitrous and have a monster setup. Victory Racing Engines has some very nice combinations out there.

Bottles run out, colder temps affect bottle pressure or you have to wait for the bottle heater to do it's job, nothing sucks more than running out mid run, all the added "safety" features (window switch, timing retard, WOT switch, bottle heater, remote bottle opener, ect.) are going to add to the price, not to mention the cost of filling the bottles to keep up. Honestly the cheaper choice will be nitrous, no doubt, and it will help you reach your goals. But I would rather go turbo, the power is always there, the technology is far better now and lag is pretty much a thing of the past with a decent kit, and a turbo V8 just sounds awesome. Plus all the other cool sounds associated with turbo's are just sweet, what cool sounds does nitrous have?? :D

When looking at an engine's compression keep in mind that is the static compression. As GMs cam profiles have been getting more race spec - the dynamic compression isn't as high as one would think. Point in case, the LS2 (10.9 static compression)is able to take 10psi and make a cool 600whp as proven by APS.

Nitrous will make more power but works in somewhat of a two fold. Generally the piston and rings have a cooling affect, where as boost tends to get them really hot. It seems that nitrous, in the long run, can be harsh on bottom ends when you really start cranking up the juice.

As others have said nitrous will create more power for less money.

If you plan to road race, you might find a centrifugal supercharger easier to deal with as it keeps predictable pedal feel and drive-ability of an NA engine.

One thing for turbos - if they are sized correctly they provide a relatively quick, but not to quick change in torque. With nitrous, as soon as it comes on, torque goes through the roof in a very short time period. A progressive setup would probably fix that, but naturally turbos offer slower torque transitions.

Just some things to think about. :)

LOL!!! Everytime I think I have it figured out, I start thinking about things like that. Granted spraying does hit at once, which is why I wanted to break it down into stages. To be honest either set up will be kick ass. Nitrous gives you an instant rush, and turbos sound cool as hell. Both could take me into the 9's with a little weight reduction. Forget it!!! I'm going to get a turbo with a 100 shot and call it a night :D