camera guys (aka fusion) i need advise.

e-flores

i have been looking to get a camera for a long time now, and not just some coolpix camera. i want to spend about 1g for everything, camera, lenses, case, memory cards, etc.

i will be shooting alot of still shots but mostly action stuff, or racing events. what would be the best camera/lens setup for me considering i am a just starting out with this stuff. and will i need to spend more money?

and what is your guys setup? and do you like it/could it be better?

I bought a Canon S3, 12x optical zoom, image stabilization.

It will reach out there. It has a sports setting.

Works best, I think, if manually set to focus on infinity, for moving objects.

Otherwise the auto focus gets confused trying to focus on fast moving stuff.

I added tele and wide adapters, lense barrels, and a little side mount flash.

Digital is new to me, I used Nikons for years. Film is out. Except for black and white film, which is back in.

But anyway, the 12x optical zoom (not digital zoom) with image stabilization are the two features I like the best.

Use these links:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

Check these lists of best cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

A word of warning: the smaller Nikons, the ones that do not have removable lenses, have a history of lense problems. It's the movement back and forth when they focus and zoom. They jam up, stop working, and break. Best avoided. The bigger Nikons, with auto focus removable lenses, are ok, and are still some of the best available. Any Canon is good to excellent. Check for prices on pricegrabber.com, pricescan.com, and amazon.com because amazon often has free shipping. I usually wind up buying from amazon.com, or newegg.com.

This one is always tough for me. So as an overly general rule no matter what you are shooting better glass is better than a better camera body especially when you are starting out.

Having said that, when shooting sports or action there are definitely camera bodies more suited to that style of shooting. For example the Canon 40D is more suited to action and sports than the Canon Xti. That doesn't mean that the Xti can't do it, it just can't do it as well. Street Pilot proves that it can with his excellent shots from Mid-Ohio using his Rebel Xt. It is definitely a capable camera at a great price for someone just getting into or dabbling in photography.

As for lenses you are going to want something with a little more reach. My air show pics where shot with a relatively cheap 75-300mm lens. It does alright. I bitched about not having the lens I wanted to shoot with, but with enough light even the cheaper lenses can do pretty good.

Starting out I would first go somewhere like Cord Camera or Best Buy and pick up and handle the different brand cameras. It'll be easiest for you if you stick with either Nikon or Canon. Look at the menus and make sure you like how they feel in your hands. They make grips for consumer and pro-sumer cameras that allow for an additional battery, give vertical grip for shooting and give the camera a little extra to the feel.

I order almost everythign I get from BH Photo or get it from Cord up by the Dayton Mall.

If I were just starting out again...brand spanking new... I would probably go with a the Canon XSi kit, although you could save some and get the XTi kit. Not a whole lot though. You could also go used and save even more. You could then add the 100-300 lens to give you a bit more reach.

Here's a DP review comparison of the XTi and XSi. There are a ton of decent reviews on that site as well a pretty good Buyers Guide. Recon Rat also posted a link to Steve's Digicams review page which is pretty decent as well.

You are going to eventually want even faster glass which gets expensive. Better clarity, color, focusing speed....yada, yada, yada.

Forgot the part about my setup...

I'm shooting with a 40D. I'm hoping to move to a 1d-Mk III though mostly for the improved low light performance, hgher burst, and greater tracking ability. I'm saving my pennies for that one though. There are also a good number of L lenses I want.

I was looking at the 40D not gunna lie, but thanks for the info. There are actually a couple of packaged deals on ebay that were pretty nice but like you said I want to hold and test out the cameras. I was thinking of the xti as well, thanks fusion and recon!

I was looking at the 40D not gunna lie, but thanks for the info. There are actually a couple of packaged deals on ebay that were pretty nice but like you said I want to hold and test out the cameras. I was thinking of the xti as well, thanks fusion and recon!

If you're willing to spend the dough the 40D is a fantastic first camera for shooting sports and action. Once you get your first real lens you'll get hooked like it's crack. Expensive though.

Definitely sounds like you are ready to step up (over?) to a Digital SLR.

The Canon Rebel series was designed for the inspiring photographer who wants to move from a p&s to a DSLR. I started with a Rebel and moved to a XT. I am trying to stick to this body for now and invest in some quality glass.

My biggest piece of advice is to choose a brand and stick with it. See if you can shoot with some different brands (ok Nikon and Canon) and see which one is more comfy, intuitive, etc. The beauty of staying with one brand is once you start building your lens collection you dont have to buy new lenses every time you upgrade the body.

Being Canon biased, I would recommend trying to find a closeout XTi (one gen old) body, and spending the rest on lenses. Just because you have $1K to spend doesnt mean you should. For about $700 you can get an XTi with a kit lens. This will get you started. Put the extra into your accessories and post-processing software. You see a lot of cheap used DSLR cameras for sale because people think purchasing one makes you an awesome photographer, and they end up getting discouraged.

I'm not real well versed in Nikon so I dont know what the comparable body to the Canon rebel series is.

*edit: just checked prices, the XSi kit is probably worth the extra $100 it seems to run. I also want to clarify not ALL canon lenses work with ALL canon bodies I dont believe.

are there any real complaints about nikon? because i keep hearing such good things about canon and it seems nikon get ignored?

and i am going to have to go to the camera store and check some stuff out!

Not to my knowledge, talk to a Nikon person and they will sell you one of those like we are the Canons ;)

*edit: just checked prices, the XSi kit is probably worth the extra $100 it seems to run. I also want to clarify not ALL canon lenses work with ALL canon bodies I dont believe.

The XSi and XTi both(as well as the 40D) support EF and EF-S mounts. Most lenses are EF mount with a handful of EF-S mount lenses. A majority of the EF-S mount lenses available are wide angle which is kind of the purpose of the EF-S mount. With the modern canons the only real problem you run into is trying to use an EF-S mount on a 1.3 crop (1D-MK II, 1D-MK III) or full frame camera(5D, 1Ds-MK II, 1Ds-MK III). The XTi, XSi, 40D... are APS-C sized sensors with a 1.6 crop factor.

are there any real complaints about nikon? because i keep hearing such good things about canon and it seems nikon get ignored?

and i am going to have to go to the camera store and check some stuff out!

For a long time Nikon was trailing Canon in the D-SLR area mostly due to low light and high ISO performance. They have made good leaps with their latest D300 and D3 releases. For what it's worth Canon lenses and gear are easier to find used and in good condition.

For a long time Nikon was trailing Canon in the D-SLR area mostly due to low light and high ISO performance. They have made good leaps with their latest D300 and D3 releases. For what it's worth Canon lenses and gear are easier to find used and in good condition.

gotcha, easy to find used stuff is kinda a good thing! and low light shots produce some cool shots as well.

I would never buy a camera on eBay! Despite the tons of stuff I've bought on eBay.

At my last airshow, two pros sat nearby, probably shooting for magazines. One had Canon, the other had Nikon. It's just what makes you comfortable, like already said. What you want, comes with using cameras for a while, and gaining experience. Both cameras appeared to have excellent burst capability. And right after that, excellent review and delete of the unwanted shots.

Lenses have gotten so much better over the years, with computer design, that a basic auto-focus zoom performs extremely well. Going up one notch to better glass in the lens is a must if affordable. Even if it means buying the next level up body to use it. And from the sounds of it, you're headed toward a long sports lens, and you better keep that in mind when buying the camera. The long lens ability will be the most demanding. Planning ahead is good.

ummmm.... hassleblad? $40,000???

what the heck!!! i really dont think there is that much of a difference from a $3,000 camera to a $40,000 dollar camera!

oh and when i clicked on the item includes tab i was hoping it would say blow job!!!

It's a medium format camera :lol: Different ballgame altogether than what you are looking to get.

I would never buy a camera on eBay! Despite the tons of stuff I've bought on eBay.

ebay stores, not from personal sales, no way. and the more i looked the more i found that the quality of the package deals were not up to snuff. the prices on the camera body though was still amazing.

and jeremi, i dont care what kind of camera it is $40,000 is not equal to a camera but camera+bj could = $40,000:D

ebay stores, not from personal sales, no way. and the more i looked the more i found that the quality of the package deals were not up to snuff. the prices on the camera body though was still amazing.

and jeremi, i dont care what kind of camera it is $40,000 is not equal to a camera but camera+bj could = $40,000:D

Honestly B&H Photo have the best reputation in the US as a retailer. The customer service is fantastic.

Think of the medium format camera to being like the super expensive MotoGP bike compared to the 600rr stock for certain applications. The medium format cameras have much larger films so the quality of the image is much better than that of 35mm equivalents.

A lot of fashion and high end glamour photographers shoot with medium format. I'm sure a few have gotten a bj from an aspiring model if that helps justify the price at all. :lol:

Honestly B&H Photo have the best reputation in the US as a retailer. The customer service is fantastic.

Think of the medium format camera to being like the super expensive MotoGP bike compared to the 600rr stock for certain applications. The medium format cameras have much larger films so the quality of the image is much better than that of 35mm equivalents.

A lot of fashion and high end glamour photographers shoot with medium format. I'm sure a few have gotten a bj from an aspiring model if that helps justify the price at all. :lol:

Well since you put it that way.... Time to go to the bank and pick up a 40g loan:D

And I think I am going to head to some camera shops around here tonight to see what I do and don't like it seemed all of the reviews on the 40d were excelent I only saw one complaint about the camera and even at that it was something retarded like the input jacks being positives wrong? Everyone loves the baterylife as well which makes me happy and I have already seen the quality the camera is able to produce and it seems it is super versitile especially with lense options

40D is great choice...of course my opinion is slightly biased :D

See if they have a vertical grip where ever you go that they can put on for you so you can get a feel for it. I never take mine off and have had one on every camera I get now.

and don't buy extra batteries at the store, order them from here: SterlingTek

ok, so here is my question:

is it worth buying the sony a350 since it has built in "steady-shake" or whatever they call it. I know that some lenses have it built in, but my for my price point (~$700 package) I know an upgraded lens is out of the question...

#2: what's a good site for buying used cameras and or lenses?

The Sony Alpha's are good cameras. They are actually the old Minolta. You aren't going to have much to chose from used though and the better lenses are more expensive and not on par with Canon and Nikon higher-end lenses. They are (basically) the first though to put "steady-shake" on a DSLR. There's much debate on which is better to have it on, camera or lens. To most novice shooters though I don't think it matters which.

Photo forums, CL, there are a ton of online stores that sell new and used. BH Photo, Adorama...