1995 6.5 Turbo Diesel problems PLEASE HELP!

ChevyMan1972

Please Help!

We have a 1995 Chevy 3500 dully 6.5 Turbo Diesel, and we are stuck with a little problem. Truck starts rough and slow....and when driving for no reason it will shut off! You have to coast to a stop and turn the key off and re start it and it will run for about 10 more minutes and then to the same thing. I have read on the internet about this same problem and it seems to be fuel related can anyone help? We have changed fuel filters etc re primed system and we still get the same thing. Also the "water in fuel" light comes on.

Can someone give me some ideas where to look, while dad is away on the road?

Thanks,

Daniel Weaver

I just checked a 99 at work with a p1216/p1217 that needed a injection pump.

what 6.5L doesn't need an injection pump? don't know if it helps you out or not but GM exteneded the warranty on those but i don't remember how far back it went to or the miles.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Removed
I just checked a 99 at work with a p1216/p1217 that needed a injection pump.

i was about too say that.....

the pumps in these are junk. most likely the issue here. even the early ones.

I don't know dick about the 6.5 but I know that some of the 6BT Cummins motors had a transfer pump in the tank and when it goes bad it acts like this. I would also check your inline tank valve for the dual tanks. I assume it has duals as most duallies did. That will also cause it to starve for fuel and not run right.

If none of those things fix it,,, I would attempt to run a line off the input of the pump into a can of fuel, see how it acts. That will be a good indicator if it's the injection pump or the tank and delivery system. If it's the pump, I may be able to get the pump rebuilt at Columbus Diesel. I would NOT replace it with a new pump.

Lift Pump

DESCRIPTION

The electric fuel lift pump mounts on the inside of the left frame rail, and is used to deliver fuel at a low pressure (at least 3 psi or 21 kPa) at the rate of 0.24 liter (1/2 pint) in 15 seconds (15 GPH). The lift pump is controlled by the lift pump electrical circuit.

Lift Pump Electrical Circuit

When the ignition switch is in the crank position, the fuel pump relay is energized which sends voltage to the lift pump. During this time, oil pressure is building to the point of closing the contacts of the oil pressure switch. A minimum of 28 kPa (4 psi) is required to close the switch contacts.

When the ignition switch is returned to the "run" position, the oil pressure of the running engine maintains voltage to the lift pump. If engine oil pressure drops below 28 kPa (4 psi), the engine will run poorly or stall when the lift pump circuit opens.

If the lift pump is not functioning correctly, and doesn't feed enough fuel to the injection pump, it can ultimately lead to injection pump failure because the injection pump is lubricated from the diesel fuel and no diesel fuel means no lubrication and being that it is a rotary pump, it will stop working.