Need assistance with my problem child, a 95 Ford Probe GT

Guest zanesvillepgt

Guest zanesvillepgt

OK here's a quick run down of things that has happened prior to the car's current state.

About 3 weeks ago I swapped out my fuel rail for another one (Only becasue I had an extra one laying around and decided to paint it and get it looking good) Well after I got it in I wasn't getting any response whenNI turned the key (Crank, but no fire) So I replaced the fuel rail and after putting the ones back in I originally had in it the car fired right up, However I got a rather decent amount of fuel under the hood of my car because I forgo to let out pressure in the fuel lines. Anyways I too a hose and washed it out trying to get as much fuel out of the engine bay as I could and the car began driving like shit, boggs on acceleration ect.. but cleared up within a few miles of driving her.

After that, I went to Newark for the light the night car show they held and upon getting there and being bored out of my our minds we decided to leave and when I made it to my car I turned the key and nothing... no crank at all. Left the car there and went to Pick-N-Pull the next morning and bought a starter and fixed that problem. (The starter I replaced lyterally looked like it was fried, everything inside was coorodeid) (sp?)

Then 2 friggin days later I fired up my car went to the gf's house and chilled there for a while, went to leave and guess what?..... Yep, nothing...the car cranks, but no go. Tried pop starting it and everything and nothing. Well come to find out the coil in my distributor was bad, replaced that and the car ran fine. Well surpirse surprise, the car has sat where it is for the past week now with nothing goin. I replaced the crank shaft position sensor, nothing, replaced the plugs and wires, nothing, Was looking over a lot of things and decided to look at the computer and well, I noticed the integrated circuits were melted on the far side, so I bought a new computer, thinking that was the problem, and guess what... That's right NOTHING! I am going insane trying to figure out the problem with this damn car. I had a buddy that also owns a probe come over (his has the KLZE in it too) and I decided to toss my disty in his car to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't his car fired right up.

So now, I'm at my wits end with this damn car. I have considered swallowing my pride and calling a garage to come and get it, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Then I considered beating the shit out of the car....but yea, that would only add to the problem, not fix it... so now I'm here hoping to God someone...ANYONE on here can help me! I have a bunch of aftermarket things I could give to anyone that may be able to lend a hand and even some cash..... But the thing is I dont want the car to leave my driveway (as in having a garage come and get it) So granted most of the parts I have are for first and second gen probes/mx-3's/mx-6's. But anyways could someone please help me out here????????

p.s. things I have noticed however are that when I turn my key the relays under the hood don't "click" like they used to but my relays have all been tested good. And for some reason my heater only comes on while I'm cranking the engine but doesn't stay on when the key is set to acc, or the "on" position. Maybe that can help narrow down the possibilities?

I don't know Probes or anything about them. But what you are describing makes me wonder if you got water where it should not be when you washed out the engine bay. Check your fuse also.

I would assume you are on forum specific to your car. If not, join and start reading.

Good luck

Guest zanesvillepgt

I was once on probetalk.com but me and a moderator there didn't see eye to eye, so he took it upon himself to boot me off the forums......

I replaced all the fuses and relays and I'm still not getting any response.

Guest drumer919

Check the F/P relay, it also controlls the part of the OBD system that does the pre-start and afterstart tests and if it isnt working A) your check engine light wont come on, B) your F/P wont run and C) you wont have spark.

When the hell did you get BATN from PT?

Guest zanesvillepgt

I got booted a while back, I was in the middel of selling a couple klze intake manifolds members on the bored then got booted as I was in the middel of shipping out the stuff.(basically got the money, but never got to send out the mani's)

What could be stopping my relay from working? Cause I used a test light and I'm getting power to all my fuses but not to the back row of relays. (the circuit relay, the start relay and ignition main)

By the way Drummer you are on pt as well right? I think I remember we've talked a couple times on there before. It's awesome to see you're on here as well, I've always respected the fact you were always willing to try and assist anyone with therir problems.:thumbup:

What could be stopping my relay from working? Cause I used a test light and I'm getting power to all my fuses but not to the back row of relays. (the circuit relay, the start relay and ignition main)

It sounds like you got some electrical shit wet when you hosed down the engine bay. If you were closer I would help, but Zainsville is a bit out of my way.

I would recheck all your fuses. Do you not get a check engine light at all? Have you attempted to pull codes?

Guest drumer919

^You have the supra right?

And yeah the circuit relay is the one I was talking about, I doubt you have a CEL at all do you, like not even when you turn the key on when all the lights come on?

Do you have and DE IM's you dont need? I need to cut another one apart to finish my custom IM I'm building.

And as for your question, look at a diagram of the fuse box and find the switched power supply to the back row of relays, cut that wire and run a new wire from any switched power source to that wire, it should fix your problem.

Guest zanesvillepgt
^You have the supra right?

And yeah the circuit relay is the one I was talking about, I doubt you have a CEL at all do you, like not even when you turn the key on when all the lights come on?

Do you have and DE IM's you dont need? I need to cut another one apart to finish my custom IM I'm building.

And as for your question, look at a diagram of the fuse box and find the switched power supply to the back row of relays, cut that wire and run a new wire from any switched power source to that wire, it should fix your problem.

I have a couple KLDE intake manis, I have a klze intake mani I just got yesterday, a couple mazda valve covers, I have one of the 24v dohc v6 mazda valve cover, an AEM prelude cold air intake I made into one to fit our cars, a throttelbody. (came with the ze manifold) 95 GT tails with wiring harness and a GT center reflector, a pgt stock spoiler...Dude I have a lot of stuff. I'd be more then willing to give you whatever you wanted if I could interest you in coming down here and possibly helping me out. I am rather low on cash but I can give ya 20 bucks to cover gas as well?

As for my getting something wet that shouldn't have been... Wouldn't that have kept my car from running when it happened as opposed to nearly 3 weeks later? Also I THINK I understand what your talking about with the wire thing.. but at the same time could you please elaborate some more on this?

Guest zanesvillepgt
It sounds like you got some electrical shit wet when you hosed down the engine bay. If you were closer I would help, but Zainsville is a bit out of my way.

I would recheck all your fuses. Do you not get a check engine light at all? Have you attempted to pull codes?

I just went out and attempted to see if I got a "check engine" cell and nothing.... And when I attempted to pull codes by way of self diagnosis It's not doing anything... the fan isn't even kicking on when I "jump" the "grnd" and "ten" holes with a paper clip......I'm completely lost as to what the problem may be.. :confused:

Guest drumer919
I may be able to come saturday but I cant guarentee I can fix it, I'll do my best though. PM me your address. As for why it didnt happen till later, it may have rusted from the water so when it was just wet it workeed but once the rust built up it then stopped.

Still could be electrical. A testlight just shows that there is power there , question is do you have enough power !? Use a meter and make sure you have the correct amount of power to all your circuits.....

Guest zanesvillepgt
Still could be electrical. A testlight just shows that there is power there , question is do you have enough power !? Use a meter and make sure you have the correct amount of power to all your circuits.....

whoa.... :confused: And that's where you lost me.....:(

ok you sound kinda new at this so I'll try to make it simple here

first things first purchase a reapair manual autozone or advance will have one

cars need two things to run fuel and spark

first check the fuel pressure if you don't have a guage cycle the key on and off a couple times and poke a small screwdriver into the guage fitting on the fuel rail see if fuel comes out....

if there is no fuel pressure look up the fuel pump circut in the book and use a test light (also availiable at autozone for about 5 bucks)

and check the circut starting at the begining untill the power goes away repair the fualty part if you have power all the way to the fuel pump and still no fuel replace the pump....

if you have fuel pressure then you need to start checking the ignition side of things pull off the distributor cap and crank the engine while someone watches make sure the rotor is turning.... if its not the timing belt/chain snapped or you have an internal engine failure..... if the rotor turns get your repair manual back out and follow the diagram for the ignition system make sure you have power to the coil etc...

hth

your really to far away for me to come and look at it....

if you can't figure it out pm and we can work out getting it towed up here so I can get it fixed for you....

Guest drumer919

^ Its for sure an electrial problem, I have the same car (MX6 = PGT) and had the exact same problem. the relays arnt getting power and from what he told me in a PM its a ground problem no questions asked. Thats why the test light came in, theig getting power but there not grounded.

We'll get it fixed saturday. Then I get to come back here to c-bus and do a clutch in another mx6 sunday, there goes my weekend working on stupid ass mazdas.

Guest zanesvillepgt
^ Its for sure an electrial problem, I have the same car (MX6 = PGT) and had the exact same problem. the relays arnt getting power and from what he told me in a PM its a ground problem no questions asked. Thats why the test light came in, theig getting power but there not grounded.

We'll get it fixed saturday. Then I get to come back here to c-bus and do a clutch in another mx6 sunday, there goes my weekend working on stupid ass mazdas.

Well I'm greatful for the help nonetheless! :thumbup:

I am guessing I am getting fuel though there isn't any fuel smell, cause I pulled off the hose on the passanger side of the engine bay that connects both the front and back fuel rails together. (hope that makes sense) and fuel sprays as if it's under pressure.

I just don't understand how it is that every other fuse/relay under the hood is indicating I am getting power yet, the 3 relays in the back are not....

Anyways please allow me to thank everyone for the support on the matter. I just wish it was running cause well, truth be told I can't stand my moms saturn anymore.... :burn:

Guest zanesvillepgt

Wait a second.... I completely forgot to mention something. A couple days after the being at my girlfriends house incident I did get it running!!! However it only ran for a couple days. I was running my friend to work right off of I-70 and as we were approaching the exit my car died, the gauges all stuck where'eve they were and I pulled off the side of the road, thinking the worse I started flipping out, but turned the key and it fired right up. Then I made it to my exit and the car died again. Then after restarting her I dropped m buddy off and made it about half a mile down the road then it died again however this time it wouldn't start and so I had to have it towed home. THAT's the last time I driven ere and she has sat here ever since...... I then looked into what I should do next when it came to getting my carup and running again and was told about an HEI mod... but after wiring that up as directed I still got nothing from her:(

Please everyone accept my apologiees on not remembering this part of things, however hopefully this helps with comeing to a conclusion as well.

And yes, since remembering this I've racked my brain about everything else and there is absolutely nothing else to add to this. Again my appologiees.

Check your Battery cable. See iF you can pull the ends off. If one or both ends are loose you will have those simptoms. It is might be either loose or part of it was exposed to the water in the washing of the engine. The car shutting down and the starting back up is what makes me think it is something to do with that. It could be as easy as re-crimpping the end of the cable. A pair of plyers and a hammer does well if you don't have a crimping tool. Just make sure the cable it off the car when you do this. Probably goes with out saying, but disconeccet the battery before messing with this stuff.

Good luck

Guest zanesvillepgt
the battery connections are solid. and the wires are too..... If it was anything to do with the battery wires wouldn't the altenator keep the car running if the battery connections came off?

Guest zanesvillepgt
if not the ground check you ignition switch. Not familiar with those cars but my dad had similar problems on his astro a few years back and it was the "ignition relay" or somethin like that.

where would the ignition switch be? lastly would a bad ignition relay keep all the other fuses on that back row form getting power?

the battery connections are solid. and the wires are too..... If it was anything to do with the battery wires wouldn't the altenator keep the car running if the battery connections came off?

Not nessesarily. I've had a car with this issue, Not hard to fix, but a pain in the ass to trouble shoot.

Guest zanesvillepgt

I would actually like to sell it and get a Mustang, I'm a Ford guy thru and thru...

Actually I have my eye on a certin fox body vert for sale in the corral.....:thumbup:

anyways back on the topic... lol