Modding a mustang, advice and links are great

Bam

Alright, so I took it out for a couple minutes on the hwy tonight. Well I think my starter is going, right when I was leaving, and the 2 times I had to restart it on my short drive it made an AWFUL banging/screeching noise.

Anywho, the car smokes pretty good, but as far as i can tell its black, like rich smoke. The car doesn't feel smooth, the power feels iffy, like its cutting out or something.

Also, its got GREAT low end power in 1st/beginning of 2nd,but then that's when it starts to have power issues.

Anyways, here's what I've done since I bought it less than a week ago.

Removed hacked install nitrous kit

Adjust timing, should be perfect.

Changed out to motorcraft OEM spec plugs, gapped at or close to .054

Coolant flush/fill

Oil change/filter w/ 5w30 blend

I'm going to buy a new fan tomorrow and I'm hoping to get the car reflashed to its NA tune either tomorrow or early next week, maybe that'll help.

I'd like to at the bare minimum check the compression.

Also, while driving, it started making this clacking noise, or tapping? Not sure, but it sounds like its coming from the rear lower part of the engine. I also pulled a plug and it was black again and the electrode was bent down/almost touching the thing. I know I gapped it at .054 less than 3 days earlier...any ideas?

i could be wrong but it sounds like the pistons might be closing the gap on your plugs.

id be getting that checked out.

also you need to get that thing tuned ASAP.

thats the main reason its running super rich.

may want to get your coil tested as well.

chekc your ignition system completely i would say.

i could be wrong but it sounds like the pistons might be closing the gap on your plugs.

id be getting that checked out.

also you need to get that thing tuned ASAP.

thats the main reason its running super rich.

may want to get your coil tested as well.

chekc your ignition system completely i would say.

I agree on getting it checked out, but who do you recommend to have do it? I want to get it tuned asap, only time will tell. I have no clue how to check the coil/ignition system, lol.

Guest Removed
I agree on getting it checked out, but who do you recommend to have do it? I want to get it tuned asap, only time will tell. I have no clue how to check the coil/ignition system, lol.

are the plugs getting smashed?

i can check anything you need checked on the car...

you can call 488-9951 m-f too set up a app.

its all good now, its all timed correctly and running pretty damn strong. caught 5th gear on 71s tonight with it.

quoted for accuracy, ryan can drive, i was scurred, haha. Thanks a ton man for coming out so late, and taking time to explain shit. Next order of business is to get it tuned and some good tires. :grin2:

So hoblick mentioned me probably needing an IACV and explained what it would do if I did need it. And the car sounds like it needs one now, so does anyone happen to have the hookup at a parts store? It looks like its $57 at advance, ain't cheap but if it makes it idle smooth I guess its worth it. Do you guys know if I can flip the mount around on it to get the plug away from the intake tubing? It's currently pinching it and I want to change the intake on it.

He also mentioned I might want to change the o2 sensors, is there a way to tell if there good/bad?? And lastly, what tires do you guys recommend? I'm going to just keep the wheels that are on it now and put tires on the 17x8s? A few people have mentioned going w/ 275/40 and either nitto 555r or MT et streets, both street legal drag radials. This car will see no iffy weather, only nice sunny days and nights and I want the best traction possible. :)

nittos 275/40 for the rear... 245/45 up front.

turn the shocks all the way down and then 3 clicks to the right.. will be a descent street setting on the QA1s. let me know if you need some help.

when you picking up the manifolds??

also chekc your PMs