Mustang Brake Tech

88lx5oh

what front spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers will bolt to the fox.

i know the 94-98 will bolt up.

but i have heard of certain lincoln parts working.

also what axels in the rear.. looking for disc brake only

all parts must be 5 lug with standard mustang 5 lug pattern.

also is there any difference in the 4cyl and 5.0 brake booster and resevoir??

the brake booster and res are differant but a 4 cly one will and does work (as mine are 4cly and the work fine for me) the 4cly one is smaller in diameter but thicker and the brake res is set up RETARDED

the linc mark 8 will bolt up or the turbo coupe ummm of coure there is also the 93 cobra (but if i find one im getting it heheh) the 94 95 are wider than 87-93

lincoln syuff can work but not with all wheels as the spindles are to long and get in the way. and it is 94-95 not 96-98 and 99 up the 96-7-8 stuff has a screwy ball joint so if you use it you will need that year ball joints. for the front it only makes sence to use the 99 up stuff becouse you have beeter upgrade options later and the rotors are floating and are easier to service.

Guest Removed

4 cly booster will clear the big block..

ranger 8.8 axles(2 off the longer side, i forgot which side it was) and the drums.

the ranger front rotor will get it swappped over on the 87-93 v-8 spindles, you just have too clearance the brake brake some.

are you going too use power steering? if so i got a p.s. pump and brackets.

no PS, manual rack flaming river is what i will be purchasing.. wil i need a different shaft??

will the 4 cyl a arms work or wil li need the v8 a arms??

ill need the spindles fomr a v8 car

so the mark 8 rear end will work that is cool

what do you mean by clearance the brake some??

not from what i researched.. the mark VII is 5 lug.. they are sayin to use the front rotors from a late 80s, stock calipers and mounting hardware will work.

atleast that the general concensus.

This article will detail the conversion of my 1990 Mustang GT from 4-lug to 5-lug for the purpose of mounting 17x8 wheels from a 1999 Cobra (this also applies to 1998 Cobra wheels and the 17" 'Split 5-Spoke' style wheel). This conversion was done with cost kept to a minimum. It would have been easy to simply order an M2300-K Cobra Brake Kit from FRPP but I wasn't ready to drop the $1,600 for the kit. This article details the conversion that retains the front discs and rear drums for budget issues.

1987 to 1993 Fox body 5.0 liter Mustangs can be easily upgraded to 5-lugs by simply installing 5-lug axles and drums from a Ranger or Bronco II in the rear and 5-lug brake rotors from a late 80's Lincoln Mark VII in the front. This conversion will work for most types of wheels. But, if you are planning on installing a Ford OEM wheel such as the 1998 or 1999 Cobra wheel or the 17" 'Split 5-Spoke' wheel then this conversion will not work for you. This is due to the fact that the Mark VII rotor hat is too tall and the dust cap on the rotor extends too far out. This prohibits the center cap of the wheel from being installed.

There are two solutions to this problem. The first is to install ½" wheel spacers behind the front wheels to allow more clearance for the dust cap. This also requires that longer wheel studs be installed on the front rotors for safety. The other solution is to replace the front spindle, rotor and caliper assemblies from the Fox Mustang with complete spindle, hub, rotor and caliper assemblies from an SN95 Mustang. Wheel spacers are simply a Band-Aid for this fitment problem, though, and that is why I chose the latter option. The SN95 assemblies are also designed with improved geometry for better steering feel and the caliper assemblies provide improved braking as well. All in all, it is a better setup and is also the basis for any big brake upgrades in the future (i.e. - Baer or Cobra brakes). It is a project of low to moderate difficulty that can be performed in a garage or driveway with basic tools by anyone with the ability to perform a complete brake job.

his is a rear 5 lug disc conversion using 11.375" vented rotors. Or you could use the stock axles and redrill the rotors for 4 lug. The stock Lincoln Mark7 LSC and SVO Mustang use a rear axle that is 1.25" wider per side than the 87-93 Mustangs. This causes issues with rubbing on the rear tires and requires you to run special offset wheels. Fox body Saleens also used this rear disc setup.

But you can "flip" the brackets and with some welding and Ranger/Aerostar axles use the rear disc with the stock track width! Black306 is the person that has the info on this! You need the Ranger/Aerostar axles and the brake parts off a 85-91 Lincoln Mark7 (caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, bolts and hoses). This does take some welding to complete, so be prepared. The only tricky part is to get the Ebrakes working with the flipped brackets. You will need to swap the brake cable brackets to the opposite side and bend them and the lever as needed. Then if you need a bit more clearance, remove the shock from the bracket, then remove the shock bracket from the axle. Turn the shock 90* and bolt it directly to the axle housing.

More information to come! Check Next Level Motorsports for the how to.

If you do find a Lincoln Mark7 LSC in the yard, also get the front rotors, 73mm calipers, master cylinder and proportioning valve. You can all use this in the 87-93 V8 Mustang for a cheap 5 lug upgrade to the front. Get the spindles if you have a 4 cyl to convert over to the larger 11" front brakes. But be warned that with the front Lincoln rotors, you will be limited to the Ford OEM wheels that you can run!