95 e150 heater questions

wnaplay1647545503

I have a 95 e150 conversion van. During the summer I ran out of freon and havent recharged it yet. When I turned the air on it smelled bad, but I just contributed it to something having to do with low freon. It was never run but for a second while it was low. Now when I turn on the heat it is still smelling a little bad. Is it possible that it is just picking up a bad smell from somewhere within the engine compartment or is something going out? Where does the air get picked up from that is blown into the cab?

Thanks

Guest Removed

is it on defrost?normally gets the air from inside or outside...depends onsettings..

now if its the evap core that was leaking, then the face of it has dirty and gunk built up on it giving you the foul smell...

I have a rear heater or ac that I have disconnected years ago because the wiring started to burn. And it has never been an issue. I havent noticed any leaking and I am going to go check the the front of the evaporator core. If it is low on freon would that cause any kind of odor?

Guest Removed
I have a rear heater or ac that I have disconnected years ago because the wiring started to burn. And it has never been an issue. I havent noticed any leaking and I am going to go check the the front of the evaporator core. If it is low on freon would that cause any kind of odor?

NO...

what are you going too do take the heater box apart? thats where the evap core is...

or your heater core could be leaking giving you a bad smell...does it smell like coolant?

Guest Removed
Also is there any kind of air filter that may need changed besides the engines air filter? Does some of the air that is taken in from the intake get diverted to the air system before it goes to the engine?

cabin air filter...but yours shouldnt have one..

Well I took some of it apart today. It appears as though the air comes into the system from inside the vent where the wiper motor is, below the windshield. The drain was plugged and I think that some of the nasty rain water backed into the system. Hopefully after driving for a few days it will dry up and the smell will go away. I cant believe that there isnt some sort of filter for that air. I guess you learn something new everyday.

on newer and luxury high end vehicles there is a cabin air filter, this installs in the air intake for the cabin and keeps shit out of the evaporator case. some of the filters even have a layer of carcoal to filter out any disagreable odors. but a 1995 econoline did not have this feature as an option. at first it was only the high end luxury cars, now they are statring to implement it in most passenger cars.