Taurus Motor Swap?

ImUrOBGYN

I posted this in the tech section but was not sure how many were seeing it. If you have any ideas or constructive suggestions, please post them. I'm just trying to get an idea here.

Anyone have an idea as to how costly/complicated it would to swap a SHO motor/tranny into a 94 Taurus w/auto? I've seen whole Taurus', including SHOs going for less than a grand. Obviously, it would be an older SHO V6 motor/tranny from the around the same year. I have no experience with Fords but I do know my patience won't last long with a 17+ sec 1/4 car. Winter beater or not. Thank you.

One of the mods at tempotopaz.com (Olympic) put a SHO drivetrain in a '94 Topaz. Pretty damn quick. Now, he's putting a second one in the rear! Nice guy, met him at a Club meet back in '03. He has an "in progress" thread on the site's forum.

I was about to mention the Tempo with the SHO motor. I believe that the swap has to start with one of the few V6 Tempos though, something about the 4 cylinder makes it much more difficult to swap. Dunno about that myself, secondhand info there.

Mr3GTP, do you have a webpage for your SC'd Tempo? The photos just link to imageshacks front page. That's a neat car, I hadn't heard that anyone had tried an SC yet, and not many turbos.

I was about to mention the Tempo with the SHO motor. I believe that the swap has to start with one of the few V6 Tempos though, something about the 4 cylinder makes it much more difficult to swap. Dunno about that myself, secondhand info there.
Bryce started with a 4-cylinder car. In switching to the SHO rather than a standard 3.0 Vulcan, he had to transplant the ECM, harness, etc anyways. The differences between the 4- & 6-cylinder cars are the trans (different bellhousing & mounts), the ECM, and wiring. One Michigan member put a SHO trans in his '92 Tempo GLS (rare V6 sport model), the gear spacing & final drive ratio are much better.

Mr3GTP, do you have a webpage for your SC'd Tempo? The photos just link to imageshacks front page. That's a neat car, I hadn't heard that anyone had tried an SC yet, and not many turbos.
Thanks, and no webpage yet. There is a thread on the tempotopaz.com forums "Performance Modifications" section, "Project S/C, Re-revisited", that details the latter part of the job. Unfortunately, two threads displaying the project from its beginning were lost when the site was revamped.

http://www.tempotopaz.com/main/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=451 Damn pics are gone now, wtf? I know the server's been shitty lately, the site is in the midst of an ownership transfer.

I'll set up a Cardo site or something, I guess.

Guest Removed
its a motherfucker to pull the motor out of an sho,

:bs:

easy as pie! i can have the motor/trans and front suspension out in about 45 mins, give about 20 more for the motor too be on a stand!

or did you leave the subframe in it? thats like taking a aerostar motor out the front :confused: