Manual Tranny Questions

thorne

I've been driving stick since is started driving, Normal everyday driving I'm great. Racing got that.

But I'm trying to conserve fuel and be nice to my car, When i'm trying to save gas is it better to be in say 3rd trying to accelrate and having it struggle or drop to second and reach desired speed then jump to say 5th.

I'm stuck here and im sure someone her knows.

Also why if your low rpm wise in a gear and you let off then press the peddle again it feels like its jerky.

Double clutching for down shifts? Is it a good thing to do, I am refering to blipping the throttle.

Sorry for some many questions but i did not think this was a tech help dealio.

You should rev match when downshifting, its better for the transmission.

It's better for MPG with LESS use of the gas pedal, so if you have to give it MORE gas in 3rd to keep the same speed as you would with LESS gas in 2nd, obviously you're wasting some in 3rd.

The car is jerky because you're too low in the RPM range and it's got no power, that's not good for moving parts in general because sometimes it can cause a shock.

Easiest way to conserve fuel is to accelerate slowly, shift at like 2500-3000rpms and don't break AS hard, I.E. only slow down as much as necessary so you only have to acclerate as little as possible. Accerating slowly/shifting early should keep you out of boost.

You should rev match when downshifting, its better for the transmission.

It's better for MPG with LESS use of the gas pedal, so if you have to give it MORE gas in 3rd to keep the same speed as you would with LESS gas in 2nd, obviously you're wasting some in 3rd.

The car is jerky because you're too low in the RPM range and it's got no power, that's not good for moving parts in general because sometimes it can cause a shock.

Easiest way to conserve fuel is to accelerate slowly, shift at like 2500-3000rpms and don't break AS hard, I.E. only slow down as much as necessary so you only have to acclerate as little as possible. Accerating slowly/shifting early should keep you out of boost.

I pretty much agree with this but will add one more thing he failed to mention. You asked about skipping gears. I do know F-bodys used the 'skip a gear' think depending on your acceleration from the factory though many people get rid of this. I personally will skip gears if I've reached my desired cruising speed and/or speed limit. Often I'll just shift into the appropriate gear for maintaining that current speed if acceleration is no longer needed. But don't chug/lurch the car. If it's doing that, you're putting it under too much load for the rpm and/or gear. I have a tendency to rev match when slowing down, but I've heard it's better to just shift into neutral when slowing for daily driving as it's cheaper to replace pads than the wear on your drivetrain and motor.

Intersting thing I read in some magazine somewhere. If you floor it and shift at 2k rpms you will actually save gas. I can't remember why but it had something to do with efficiency.