Stripping and re-clearcoating rims.

Buck531

I'm going to be taking the rims off my car shortly and sand blasting them as the clear coat is going to shit on them.

Does anyone know who can professional re-clear coat them after I get them stripped? I know I can just take a can to them, but I was hoping to have htem professionally done at a pretty cheap price :).

just get them powdercoated whatever color you want. theres a guy at james/70 i went to that did my 15s for 50$/wheel, and fixed curbage on 3/4 of a wheel for 50$. heres a pic of the wheels he did http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/PICT6427.jpg

his name is jason, 614.207.4705. he had told me 5-6 days turn around time, but had them ready in i think 3 (its been a few months)

the powdercoating holds up amazingly well...my buddy has them now and they still look great after a quick hose down

i took them to rick (rs69) and he sandblasted them, but when i got them to the guy he said they needed a little more where in the corners it didnt all come off...he charged me 50$/each to powdercoat, 50$ to repair curb rash (wheelmedic wanted like 110) and 60$ or so to finish the sandblasting. figure itll cost you 75-100 to sandblast them all, it needs to be down to bare aluminum, and another 200$ to coat the wheels (for 15"...larger will probably be a little more)

I plan on sand blasting them myself in my garage over the winter.

I have a little rash (lol) on part of the wheel. Nothing too bad.

So I"m looking at probably $200 for the coating, and another $50 to do the curb rash.

Theyre my stock 16's.

around that. the wheels i took to rick had 3-4 coats of paint from the previous owner (i might have some pics of them before) and he had them a couple weeks blasting them. i guess the wheel had an original powdercoat that was a bitch to get off

as for him fixing the rash, the lip of the wheel was trashed beyond belief (again, previous owner)...he did what he could for 50$ or whatever he charged me, and while it wasnt 100% perfect, the powder filled up some of the small marks left, and once the tire was mounted, you couldnt even tell unless you were up at the wheel looking for it

he does a lot of powdercoating on motorcycle parts...its just a little place, but he does some good work...he also strives to do the best he can. i went there wanting a deep gloss black, and he called me up after a couple days, and told me he got a bad batch of powder. he said he was gonna shoot them again, called me back later that day, said he was gonna order more powder...i told him to hold on so i could come see them, as you see in the pics, theyre not really deep gloss, but i liked it. he was trying to get me to let him do it to what i originally asked for, but i told him they looked great...awesome customer care if you ask me

the powdercoat acts like a new coating. its hard to even scratch, and is very smooth, so it seems like dirt doesnt stick to them very well. he said that with the powdercoat, i *COULD* wax, wetsand, buff, polish, etc, anything i would do to paint. i had them on all summer, sprayed em down when i washed the car and actually took them off and washed them once. they still look good on my buddys car

i will say though, the only thing i didnt like was the fact i got them done black. i shoulda known owning a black car, they show dust easily. i would say with a stock color like silver, they will look a lot better if you dont clean them for a while

Evan was correct, powercoating is a tough finish. We have a professional sandblasting operation and do wheels frames, etc. Evan's wheels were originally powercoated(we didnt know that at first) and had 3 to 4 additional layers of paint on them. This was the first time we tried to blast anything that was powercoated. The 3-4 layers of paint was easy to remove. The last layer was powercoated and it was tough to remove because of the powercoated surface. The next time we blast anything that is powercoated, I have some additional steps that we will do. If your wheels were powercoated, you will have a hard time removing this surface in your garage sandblasting outfit.