Collector Car Insurance

MrMeanGreen

Does anyone here have it, and what company do you use? I've only been able to get one phone quote (due to offices closing at 5pm EST and I'm out of the office at 5pm CST) for $580/annually, which covers $30k for the Formula and supporting mods, and carries a very liberal amount of coverage. There's also a cap of 5k miles/year, which is substancially more than it sees anyways.

I've gotten a few online quotes ranging from $380-450/year, but the finer details haven't been established like in the phone quote, so I'm gonna call around and see what I can find.

Info and links/contact info would be appreciated :)

Some of you need to research more before assuming what is/is not covered.

I've already covered and ok'd the track duties with the one noted on the phone, which happens to be Hagerty.

The biggest reason I'm doing this is because of the five months a year the car sits in the garage and how often it's not driven during the summer because of work or kids or whatever. There's no point to paying full premiums when I can get the same coverage for less because of the niche market combined with the mileage limitations which I meet.

Thanks to those so far with realistic information pertaining to my information request.

darkformula

as you probably know, progressive and safe-auto don't do classic car insurance :) (although they'll refer you to companies that will)

anyways, one thing to look at in particular is what kind of coverage they offer

some of the cheaper plans will offer coverage for repairs, like a normal insurance agent

hagerty and the better plans offer 20k, 30k with fewer strings

easier way to explain that:

Ask, if your car is stolen...do you get 30k?

or, if your car is stolen...do you get the recovered car + $$$ for how much damage was done to it

My buddy learned the hard way that he had the cheap coverage

someone stole...trashed his car and abused it (hard to tell how bad it was abused)

he got the car back in poor shape and they were only willing to pay him the difference in value

Some of you need to research more before assuming what is/is not covered.

I've already covered and ok'd the track duties with the one noted on the phone, which happens to be Hagerty.

That's cool that you found someone that will cover it. As you know, I've owned many classic cars and never heard of a policy like that. I had insurance though USAA, as they have some sort of child company that covers that stuff.

When I talked with Hagerty yesterday, they asked what category my car was in. I told them that I drag raced it, went through a partial list of mods with them, and stated I also went to car shows. Although I hate the inclusion, they classified my car in their "tuner" category and quoted me as such.

They're sending me a quote sheet that I have to finish, where I list all of my mods (as well as cosmetically) and include a copy of my limited production letter from Pontiac, and I have to send some pics of the car from various angles.

So yes, there's a category for racing that will cover the vehicle at the track. She explained it's a newer thing they're doing.

i used ralleye or rallye or ralley, i can't remember now (i'll look around)

i don't know if they insure for track use

it really helps if you say your car will *never* see track time...and just write up the whole quote as a ridiculously nice showcar

cheaper and less restrictions

with your car though...a track accident might m ake it worth the while to not 'cheat'

So yes, there's a category for racing that will cover the vehicle at the track. She explained it's a newer thing they're doing.

Sweet. I should look into that for my car, as it's already in "Collector Car" status with the BMV, even though I don't drag race it. Not yet anyway... :)

I have State Farm and when it is not being driven I just drop the coverage to just the comprehensive. Is that not an option for you? It only costs me like 10-15 per month while in storage?

I do the same thing with Erie insurance. I drop to comprehensive from Dec-April. It's about $20.00/month.

• 2 months later...

Update. My insurance was shot down.

They allow three moving violations per household in three years. I have two speeding with points, Jessica has one no points, and I have one no points speeding 39 in a 35. They still count them, so that's four and out the door.

Back to regular daily insurance for me with waiver.

I called and got quotes today from Hagerty and Rally/Safeco for my other car. Rally beat Hagerty by a large amount. $131 every six months with 50/100/50 and $250 deductables and basic towing. Hagerty was $408 every six months for 15/30/15 and $0 deductables. Both for 2500 miles or less per year, and "show only" (no racing) coverage.

Not bad, $21 a month for full coverage rocks. :)