1098 on the dyno

Jackson1647545504

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very impressed for a 1100cc V-Twin, making similar power to 4 cyllinders is very hard to do. I've always ridden Japanese sport bikes and said that I'd never buy a Ducati because of the cost/performance ratio, but this bike has me thinking twice. It's not only lighter than the 999 by 20ish pounds and make the same power as the 999R, but it's also 3K cheaper than the standard 999. Should I ever sell the 636, this could very well be my next bike.

Plus, look at the bike...pure sex

um, guys, this thing is a v-twin. it's not about the power. it's got 91lb/ft!!! go to a roadcourse on your in-line and watch the ducati pull your ass through and out of the corner, and prolly down the straight. then you'll say "wtf, i have more power!" there's a reason why ducati has dominated World Superbike.

um, guys, this thing is a v-twin. it's not about the power. it's got 91lb/ft!!! go to a roadcourse on your in-line and watch the ducati pull your ass through and out of the corner, and prolly down the straight. then you'll say "wtf, i have more power!" there's a reason why ducati has dominated World Superbike.

Nicely done!! I fucking love this bike!

Power under the curve.

All that may be true for track use......however, besides you, who actually does track days on a regular, won't use it there. It would be a street bike. Therefore, any other liter will wax it three ways from Sunday....I digress

in response to that though, most people don't use their street bikes to engage in highway races either. From the articles that I've read the only place you're going to really be able to beat this Ducati with your 10R is in a straight line race above about 125mph. I realize it's funny to say as we're posting on columbus racing but not everyone will be getting into situations like that.

I use my bike quite a bit on the track and have modified it specifically for the track. Of the roughly 8k miles on my bike roughly 1500 of them are track time, and if I bought a 1098 or more likely a 1098S you can bet your ass it'll be on the track.

I'm not saying that this bike is better than Japanese sportbikes (hell, I've shown my fare share of 996s and 998s a thing or two at the track) they're just two different ways of having fun.

in response to that though, most people don't use their street bikes to engage in highway races either. From the articles that I've read the only place you're going to really be able to beat this Ducati with your 10R is in a straight line race above about 125mph. I realize it's funny to say as we're posting on columbus racing but not everyone will be getting into situations like that.

I realize people buy their bikes for different purposes...It's better to say "This bike makes great power for a twin", Vs for a literbike. Then i'm sure there would be more understanding. To say it'll match a zx10 or gix1k, R1 up to 125mph is really not saying much, considering they do 104 atleast in first gear..imo.

I like the 1098...It's just not something i'd buy for a everyday bike. I, personally, don't like the twin feel. Plus they are hella uncomfortable(Ducs). Also, I have an issue buying something that cost a lot more than the competition and is not up to par. They have always been that way from 916/748/996....now this bike is said to be a contender.

What dumbass runs a bike WFO through the gears on a dyno....!?!? :(

You guys talking about power under the curve better recalculate. Any of the current liter bikes are WELL ABOVE what that bike just put down.... :rolleyes:

P.S....not impressed AT ALL when you consider the cc, power, price, etc....

depends on what you call "power" torque is what pulls you through the gears and acceleration. for everyday street riding this bike would be better than an inline due to it's rideabilty. also any tuner pulls a bike wfo through the gears on a dyno. one of the best Busa builders in the country tuned my SV racebike and did this exact thing a couple times to make sure it was working well in a real world run through the gears. also tends to net a lil higher numbers. also this bike is only 14,995 i believe. that's what, 4k more than a gixxer 1k?

I realize people buy their bikes for different purposes...It's better to say "This bike makes great power for a twin", Vs for a literbike. Then i'm sure there would be more understanding. To say it'll match a zx10 or gix1k, R1 up to 125mph is really not saying much, considering they do 104 atleast in first gear..imo.

I like the 1098...It's just not something i'd buy for a everyday bike. I, personally, don't like the twin feel. Plus they are hella uncomfortable(Ducs). Also, I have an issue buying something that cost a lot more than the competition and is not up to par. They have always been that way from 916/748/996....now this bike is said to be a contender.

very true. I was just trying to put a realistic number on what I had read in the newest Motorcyclist where they state that "in anything other than a straight line high speed race the Ducati will run neck and neck with all of the Japanese liter bikes". To be honest, you're right that most focused v-twin sport bikes (RC-51, Mille R) do not make very good street bikes. They have much more engine braking which can make for some abrupt on-off throttle transitions which makes riding in stop and go traffic a pain. Plus the RC-51 will absolutely bake your legs should you get into traffic, and I'm sure that the Mille and Ducati wouldn't be much different. Plus, i hate the sound of a dry clutch...rattling all over the place sounding like it's going to fall apart.

BUT...I would forget all of those faults every time that I went in the garage to look at my HOT ass bike, and fired it up with a set of Termignoni (sp) pipes on it, and it gave me wood each time.

personally i think the engine braking and torquiness is what makes a v-twin a better run around town bike.you dont have to slip the shit outta the clutch and you can use that engine braking to slow down and not have to constantly be grabbing brake. i know my old sv650 was kickass in traffic and was a perfect bike on the street. def. wasn't a straightline king, but that thing kicked a few literbikes in the ass in the twisties.

depends on what you call "power" torque is what pulls you through the gears and acceleration. for everyday street riding this bike would be better than an inline due to it's rideabilty. also any tuner pulls a bike wfo through the gears on a dyno. one of the best Busa builders in the country tuned my SV racebike and did this exact thing a couple times to make sure it was working well in a real world run through the gears. also tends to net a lil higher numbers. also this bike is only 14,995 i believe. that's what, 4k more than a gixxer 1k?

Who was the tuner?

It doesn't prove anything unless it's a load bearing dyno and even then you can't tune it 100% on the dyno because of no ram-air effects, not to mention wheel slip, etc..etc.... :(

All it's good for is inflated numbers.... :rolleyes:

Power under the curve as in "the power band!" Where the HP/TQ cross and meet on the dyno/street which gives the bike it's overall drive (which you call TQ). Give me a Gixxer 1k or maybe even a ZX-10 over the 1098 any day.... :cool:

Who was the tuner?

It doesn't prove anything unless it's a load bearing dyno and even then you can't tune it 100% on the dyno because of no ram-air effects, not to mention wheel slip, etc..etc.... :(

All it's good for is inflated numbers.... :rolleyes:

Power under the curve as in "the power band!" Where the HP/TQ cross and meet on the dyno/street which gives the bike it's overall drive (which you call TQ). Give me a Gixxer 1k or maybe even a ZX-10 over the 1098 any day.... :cool:

but i agree, take one of those bikes in a drag race, but take the 1098 for turning, which is what all these bikes are built for anyway. oh and BTW, last i checked the busa made 155hp??

Joe Morasco, builder of the worlds fastest n/a busa......i'm sure you've heard of him. owns a suzuki dealership in Heath

What event do you speak of and do you mean quickest or FASTEST????

Last I checked FASTEST was Dave Owen at Maxton but there are several events/classes so which do you speak of!?!?! :confused:

but i agree, take one of those bikes in a drag race, but take the 1098 for turning, which is what all these bikes are built for anyway. oh and BTW, last i checked the busa made 155hp??

What does a BUSA have to do with any of this? You are the first to bring up a BUSA in this topic!?!? :rolleyes:

If you want to get technical I can make a stock BUSA dyno 180rwhp. It's all in the dyno operator so generally dyno's aren't the best tool (except for THAT BIKE on THAT DAY with THAT DYNO and nothing else).... ;)

P.S...haven't heard of Joe Morasco? Does he have another nick name in the BUSA community? Heath, OH or what?