Car Audio question

ChevyMan1972

JL audio is top of the line.

JL makes some nice stuff, but isn't top of the line.

And sorry to be a dick (well, not really), but a couple of older low-end Kicker 8's w/ an MTX amp is not going to sound all that good.

8's just aren't good at reproducing low frequencies. Sure, a set of JL 8's will probably hit harder than a shitty pair of 10's w/ some junk amp, but a comparable set of 10's will simply sound BETTER. And there are plenty of 10's that are designed for tight spaces; my setup is very tight and still sounds good.

I'm saying they sound good and are plenty for what I need. For 13.5 lbs. more in the car, you can't beat it. And cost; $174 for amp, subs, and wiring kit. It's all preference, but saying it's not going to sound good is a bit of a blind statement.

dual voice coil 10" in a sealed small box. ftw

I have a 10" Clarion Dual voice coil in a sealed small box. It doesn't sound better then my 2 12" Rockfords but on a budget go with 1 10". And the sound is wonderful IMO. I never had 8" subs before.

Well I picked up a couple of these today http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=48 I decided to go with 10's from all the information I got....thanks guy's. They should fit my style good and with a good amp choice like this....http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=PDX-4.150 Should make my sub's rock and going to add M class 6.5" component up front.

What does everyone think?

Thanks again!

Daniel

I had a 500 watt eclipse amp and 3 mtx 6000 10s and hit 140db, 1 10 will never be louder the 2 12s but 10s sound so clean, 1 10 over 2 8s for sure. Just make sure you have the ohm load to maximize your amp, get a smaller amp that can run lower ohm loads at bridged, and have subs with also low ohms to bridge down to 1 or 2 ohms.

JL audio is top of the line.

LOL

FWIW, I have polk MOMO 6x9s in the rear and 6.5" components up front. The 6x9s produce more bass than the Rockford sub in an enclosed box I used to have (NOTE:They are not yet amped). I also lost NO trunk space. I will either buy a Phoenix Gold or an Audison amp, and see what they sound like after that. I am very happy with the purchase.

Don't get me wrong, JL is nice, but it doesn't hold up to higher end speakers. A popular theory is that Rainbow makes the best speaker you can get. There are a lot of speakers out there that I have never heard of, and they get better reviews than most of the popular brands.

As far as amps go, Zapco or older Phoenix Gold is pretty high up there. I have been very impressed with the Audison amps that I have heard. I was looking at the JL line until I was educated. I actually heard an Audison right next to a JL amp, and the Audison blew it out of the water. :)

personally i'm not into the JL amps, but love JL subs. i had 2 10w0's in my mirage back in the day, with a crossfire 200x2amp bridged it hit harder than most 12 setups i'd heard. we recently just installed 2 JLw6's in my buddy's durango this weekend with some virtual reality amp(he got an old phoenix gold with it, but didnt use it) and it absolutely pounds, not the loudest i've ever heard, but way louder than my old setup, plus it's crisp and clean. to say jl's aren't top end is just ignorant. Give me a JL w7 any day of the week, period.

personally i'm not into the JL amps, but love JL subs. i had 2 10w0's in my mirage back in the day, with a crossfire 200x2amp bridged it hit harder than most 12 setups i'd heard. we recently just installed 2 JLw6's in my buddy's durango this weekend with some virtual reality amp(he got an old phoenix gold with it, but didnt use it) and it absolutely pounds, not the loudest i've ever heard, but way louder than my old setup, plus it's crisp and clean. to say jl's aren't top end is just ignorant. Give me a JL w7 any day of the week, period.
for the truth i quote him.......in my monte that got stollin i had 2 jl w7s 12s i hit a 151dbs and my car wasnt set up for spl and i had 2 1000/1 amps 1 for each 12 and i keep busting amps they do not like vibration -sorry if i spelled that wrong- but bangged when the amps stayed together

p.s 8 amps in a year and haft each time 6 weeks for a amp to return

JL is prolly the best you'll find in stores around the area, but they are by no means 'top end'. if you want 'top end' you'll have to go Rainbow, Focal, Adire, RE, JM Labs...most of these are for 'quality' bass, worthy of high end home theatre, but a few of them make monster speakers, like 12"ers that weigh 70+lbs.