VR4 vs. Supra

V8 Beast

She doesnt like the body style of the Evo :mad:

I guess I'll have to hit stealth up later to see who's selling their 3000gt's.

I can find you a very clean / good mileage VR4 pretty easily. More than likely it wont be local (they are very hard to find typically) but if you shoot me a PM with what she likes in terms of body style (1st gen or the 94+ style) and what kind of price range you would like to stay under Ill throw some options your way.

Jeff

I agree with your wife; the EVO isn't all that good looking (and that's talking about the MR, those w/ the factory rice wing are hideous). STi isn't really any better looking.

VR4 is still expensive to fix, glass trannies, and to make one go fast gets expensive.

Trail Blazer SS would be cool if she would go with an SUV. Syclone/Typhoon if she wants to go old school. GXP is niffty if she wants FWD. IMO Supra is too much money; get a much newer Vette for less $$ at that point.

VR4 is still expensive to fix, glass trannies, and to make one go fast gets expensive.

The 6-Spd Getrags are actually very stout. Under $1000 in mods and you are running 12s. This one has a few miles but not a bad deal imo:

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354898&page=1&pp=10

She's set on the VR4. And I have figured out some pretty cheap ways to take off about 200lbs. I'm calculating out the negative equity and the amount of money I will need to put down for her. If I can keep the car payments around $500 that'll be cool. I just hope she doesnt start trying to take my mod money for herself. I have a 408 in lay-a-way :D

What about those transfer cases............

And everyone says "xxx" dollars and it will run whatever time they state, but rarely is that the case when all is said and done.

Again, on the 6-spd cars they are very durable. A stock 6spd / transfer case car has run 9s at 147mph. That car made 10+ passes before they swapped it out for an AWD Auto. The early 5-spd cars now have both a Billet aluminum and Stainless Steel Case out that no one in the country has broken yet. They are no longer an issue regardless of what year you get.

In the "Bolt-on" level the T-case would never be an issue unless you were doing 7k clutch dumps at every single light you came to for a solid year. Drive any car dumb enough and you can get anyhting to break...

Jeff

3800lbs is the fully loaded curb weight. Take a look around at other cars and you'll see it really isn't THAT heavy. You're picking up ~200 lbs but you're gaining all wheel drive and all wheel steering. The cars are also built like a tank, structurally speaking. I have seen some absolutely terrible accidents in these cars and most times the folks walk away.

As turbotrio said the 6 speed t-case is money. It is iron vs. the 5 speed which is aluminum. We now have 5 speed aftermarket t-case options for less than $1,000. Unless you plan to drastically modify the car (over 500awhp) it's not going to be much of a concern if the engine and tranny mounts are in good shape.

For under $1,000 you can run at least mid 12's....absolutely. Why do some people fail at this? Because they buy the cheapest VR-4 they can and start modding with no regard to the cars general "health". I have a little saying that goes "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit"

I actually bought mine for my wife to drive in the winter time at first. She had an absolute blast being able to pin the gas pedal to the floor with no worries of careening out of control. That's when it was stock. It makes a ton of power now and she won't touch it. :D

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. I am very experienced in these cars and would be happy to help you and your wife make a good decision. :)

All wheel drive rules by exactly one metric fuck load. :cool::p