Son asks for a Cell phone

Buck531

So.. my 13 year old son just came down to me and said "Dad, if I save up my money can I get a cell phone?"

What.the.fuck?

13 years old who wants to be cool and get a cell phone.

I reminded him. "In order to get a cell phone you need to pay the bill each month. In order to do that, it would require you to get a job.. in which, you do NOT have and aren't even old enough to get one. So no, you cannot have a cell phone just because all the kids in 7th grade have one, doesn't mean you get one too. Hell you hardly have any friends, who the hell you going to call?"

Done.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this kid go out by himself in the neighborhood? like riding bike to a friends house?Walk to school?

If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, you son needs at least a pre-paid cell phone

Does this kid go out by himself in the neighborhood? like riding bike to a friends house?Walk to school?

If you can answer "yes" to any of these questions, you son needs at least a pre-paid cell phone

"Needs"

I must've been lucky to get along all my life up until a year ago when I got a cell phone.

"Needs"

I must've been lucky to get along all my life up until a year ago when I got a cell phone.

even if you don't give the # out to anyone and just have a phone that isn't activated where you can just call 911 is better than not having one in this day and age, esp for kids that go out and about by themselves (including groups of friends)

No offence-but why are modern parents so quick to forget the 4124125 genrerations of 13 year olds that did just fine putsing around the neighborhood without one?

I agree with your decision.

If he falls off his bike and busts his leg he could call you for a ride, or he could get off his ass and ride the bike home in his bloody jeans hurt to hell. We all had to do it as kids.

Where the hell is a kid going in the 7th grade where he needs a cell phone?

No offence-but why are modern parents so quick to forget the 4124125 genrerations of 13 year olds that did just fine putsing around the neighborhood without one?

yeah, but why would you shun away any type of device that could make your child safer?

Buck weren't you the one who had some guy following your children to school?

Normally it would be in my nature to disagree with JP just because; but I can't. While I do realize the world has changed since we were kids, I don't think we need to rush out and buy our kids cell phones in the name of safety. Some of these "emergencies" we all experienced as kids taught us how to deal with a situation when Mom & Dad weren't around to save the day. While there are times it could be useful, I think it's much more likely to be shown off and abused than to be used for its intended purpose.

yeah, but why would you shun away any type of device that could make your child safer?

Buck weren't you the one who had some guy following your children to school?

If there's a guy stalking, what would a kid do with a cell phone? Call cops and then the stalker gets scared and grabs the kid and throws the phone into the sewer?

If there's a guy stalking, what would a kid do with a cell phone? Call cops and then the stalker gets scared and grabs the kid and throws the phone into the sewer?

yes call the cops... and WTF? what if the kid calls the cops and they catch him and he is a wanted child molester?

Exactly. And I bet 9/10 if a kid is every in danger, it will be a situation where they dont even have time to use a cell phone, or even think about it.

If I were you Buck I would ask him if he wants the little green froggy looking 5-year old phone that you can program 4 numbers into. I guarantee you he won't even want one then.

Think about it, he just wants one because everyone else has one, and not even think of it as a safety device.

yes call the cops... and WTF? what if the kid calls the cops and they catch him and he is a wanted child molester?

What are you going to tell your kid? "If you see a car following you call the police"

I bet the cops will get sick of those calls after....one.

Guest FooFooMaru
So.. my 13 year old son just came down to me and said "Dad, if I save up my money can I get a cell phone?"

What.the.fuck?

13 years old who wants to be cool and get a cell phone.

I reminded him. "In order to get a cell phone you need to pay the bill each month. In order to do that, it would require you to get a job.. in which, you do NOT have and aren't even old enough to get one. So no, you cannot have a cell phone just because all the kids in 7th grade have one, doesn't mean you get one too. Hell you hardly have any friends, who the hell you going to call?"

Done.

No, i'm not a Dad and I probably shouldn't say anything but seriously...

...do you think that might have been a bit harsh? If you really did say all that that you quoted?

Again, it's not my business but hey, saying you have hardly any friends sounds mean.

BUT yeah...i'm annoyed with all the young kids with cell phones. I got my first one three years ago when I was halfway through my freshmen year in college.

w00t!

Never happen. I agree with the dude. The kid can get a phone when he can pay for it. I didn't have one growing up and didn't need one. No one has needed one for what? 50,000 years so who cares. The kid will probably just abuse it and it will be a cause for many arguments between you.

Evan

What are you going to tell your kid? "If you see a car following you call the police"

I bet the cops will get sick of those calls after....one.

The kid is 13 not 5. I am sure he would know when someone is posing a threat or someone is just minding their own business. I sure as hell did when i was 13

if your kid is going anywhere where he might need a cell phone as a safety net, you're not doing your job as a parent in the first place.

I don't agree with that.... You would think that Otterbein would be a safe place, private college, good police presence, nice neighborhood. 5 armed robberies in the past month

I don't agree with that.... You would think that Otterbein would be a safe place, private college, good police presence, nice neighborhood. 5 armed robberies in the past month

Then you havn't been there much. It's never been a very graceful place. Plus, what would a 13 year old be doing at Otterbein? Frat party? On second thought better get him a phone, might as well give him some condoms and a foam dome while you're at it.

Then you havn't been there much. It's never been a very graceful place. Plus, what would a 13 year old be doing at Otterbein? Frat party? On second thought better get him a phone, might as well give him some condoms and a foam dome while you're at it.

haha, haven't been there much... right...never been a very graceful place...right... I am sure I know the ins and outs of Otterbein better than anyone on this site

and, wow, if you took it like that....just wow

haha, haven't been there much... right...never been a very graceful place...right... I am sure I know the ins and outs of Otterbein better than anyone on this site

and, wow, if you took it like that....just wow

Okay you're right you know it best. I'll take your word for it and advocate to all parents to let their kids walk alone down the streets of a college campus as long as they have a cell phone.