Too cold for school???????

V8 Beast

I always thought they cancelled school when it was cold because it would be a bitch to get the buses started because they are diesel.....

They know the tepms will be low. The prep work that goes into starting a diesel in cold is not hard. Our military verticals are diesel and for the most part will start right up at -15 + wind. And that is with out them being plugged in. My family drove buses for the school when I was growing up and I remember going to plug the bus in the night before it got cold. I also wouldn't think it realistic for Cbus to have 250 extension cords going out to the buses at night in one lot. Smaller schools should have no problem though. Sorry for the rant. My .02.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Word. It is really smart actually. Usually if they do not use any snow days the school will let those 5 days or whatever is left earlier in the summer.

No they won't let out any sooner, because the school just sticks with their schedule. Why do you think schools always had like "spring day" and stuff like that planned?

Also, you are just saving money by closing for a snow day. lower utilities, no diesel use, etc. Teachers are on teh same salary snow day or not

Also, you are just saving money by closing for a snow day. lower utilities, no diesel use, etc. Teachers are on teh same salary snow day or not

exactly. This is why in areas like Columbus on a day like today it is not worth thr hassle. The condition will clear in a day or so, same goes for snow fall. The risk to reward ratio leaves you with the only logical choice being close for the day. In areas where this is the normal climate they have no choice.

... my middle school bus stop was a middle school. the messed up part we were not supposed to wait inside the foyer between the first set of doors and the second. was really lame. we used tos end in someone on a mission anyways to get us in (They were locked)

Same thing for me, except, if it got cold enough they would let us come wait inside. By cold enough, I mean like 10*.

Brian you're just jealous of my bowtie and my little pony lunch box!

Kevin, you kind of have it backward. If they use over the amount alotted for snow days, they will use extra days in the summer. I don't think this ever happened in Westerville, but I know we were close a couple times.

Was this too cold for school thing only in the burbs??? I went to Brookhaven and I never got a day off because it was cold. I know this because one day my mom called the school and asked them if they were trying to kill us because it was -6 (wind chill -25 or so) and the bus was over 20 minutes late. She didnt care much about the temp, as she did 10 kids standing in it for 20 minutes.

Without trying to split hairs too much here, there are very valid points made to close the schools. But, with so many parents loosing a days pay, who really saves here? I can see the school saving on the light bill, but not the heating. And over all; that MAY work out for the total years budget, but they don't turn the heat down all that much for nights and weekends. You can't have the pipes freeze. Let alone; let's not forget, it really isn't that cold today.

On the diesel savings; I'm a little undecided. Would it cost more to run today, where the engine is running cool as possible? Or, does it cost less on the hot days when school is going and the AC is being run by the driver ALL day with no kids in the bus, and the engine working harder in the hot weather?

If we had consistent winters here it may be easier to say one way or the other. As it is; we are still using salt from 2005 to put on the roads. So money is being saved there.

Kevin, you kind of have it backward. If they use over the amount alotted for snow days, they will use extra days in the summer. I don't think this ever happened in Westerville, but I know we were close a couple times.

Ah, you're right. My mistake. :)

It is a risk saving. If one child who may not be used to these type of temps were to get frost bite the school would be at risk of a law suit. If some of the buses did not start, those few would ruin the day since school is not selective. The students whose bus did not show missed a day of school they did not want to miss. Rather than go through all of that the schools who are so tight on budget as is would rather say stay home for today. They are not going to pay for the electricity nor the man power to make sure everyone of those buses start.

There is no advantage to try and work through all of that when you are just using one of the 5 planned days off a year the school systems work into the schedule. Just like when we get a heavy snow, of course those buses can plow through it. Hell the busses would go through it easier than most cars, but it is risk to reward, you have to have a reward that makes the risk worth while. I went to southwestern city schools which pads their school schedule to allow for 5 snow days. If they exceed that number then they have to tack on the extra days at the end of the year. If not they still ride out the schedule as planned, so if you have had an easy winter as we have had thus far and a questionable day comes along you just call it off since you have time to play with. If you have already used up 5 days and the day is questionable chances are they are going to make the kids stand at the bus stop.

Without trying to split hairs too much here, there are very valid points made to close the schools. But, with so many parents loosing a days pay, who really saves here? I can see the school saving on the light bill, but not the heating. And over all; that MAY work out for the total years budget, but they don't turn the heat down all that much for nights and weekends. You can't have the pipes freeze. Let alone; let's not forget, it really isn't that cold today.

On the diesel savings; I'm a little undecided. Would it cost more to run today, where the engine is running cool as possible? Or, does it cost less on the hot days when school is going and the AC is being run by the driver ALL day with no kids in the bus, and the engine working harder in the hot weather?

If we had consistent winters here it may be easier to say one way or the other. As it is; we are still using salt from 2005 to put on the roads. So money is being saved there.

#1- School buses do not have AC.

#2- 0 usage is still better than a slightly lower usage

#3- yes they do turn the heat down a good amount on weekends. Ever leave the athletic wing of a high school and go into the academic wing during a sat night basketball game? freaking freezing in there

The fact of the matter is, the schools have these calamity days worked into the schedule for a reason. They are going to use them when they see fit. When I was in high school our superintendent was from Minnesota, so we only got days off if 2 schools in the county closed.

Was this too cold for school thing only in the burbs???

What is really weird is the first schools you see close are the schools out in the country, where hardly any kids walk to school, before you see schools in the burbs and city close, where tons of kids walk to school

#1- School buses do not have AC.

#2- 0 usage is still better than a slightly lower usage

#3- yes they do turn the heat down a good amount on weekends. Ever leave the athletic wing of a high school and go into the academic wing during a sat night basketball game? freaking freezing in there

The fact of the matter is, the schools have these calamity days worked into the schedule for a reason. They are going to use them when they see fit. When I was in high school our superintendent was from Minnesota, so we only got days off if 2 schools in the county closed.

1) In the 11 years I've had my bus license, every bus I have seen or been in has had AC. In the 33+ years my family member has been a bus driver, they have had AC sense the mid 80's. It is common practice to have the AC on all day as a bus driver.

2) Is it really 0 usage?

3) The athletic wing is always cooler and never really heated up all that much. This is so the people playing the sport are not sweating their balls off. Not being a dick. Just stating the reason.

There are going to be variations. I know they schedule for closing the school. I know we are, for the most part, wasting our time on this. But, there are some good points made for closing school. I'm not involved with the school system. Nor do I have kids. I'm simply saying today is a weak day off for the kids.

1) In the 11 years I've had my bus license, every bus I have seen or been in has had AC. In the 33+ years my family member has been a bus driver, they have had AC sense the mid 80's. It is common practice to have the AC on all day as a bus driver.

2) Is it really 0 usage?

3) The athletic wing is always cooler and never really heated up all that much. This is so the people playing the sport are not sweating their balls off. Not being a dick. Just stating the reason.

There are going to be variations. I know they scI know we are, for the most part, wasting our time on this. But, there are some good points made for closing school. I'm not involved with the school system. Nor do I have kids. I'm simply saying today is a weak day off for the kids.

I never ever had AC on a bus, ever. The bus driver just always had 2 fans blowing on them at all times. Maybe the newest buses do, but I have never ever been on a school bus that had AC

I never ever had AC on a bus, ever. The bus driver just always had 2 fans blowing on them at all times. Maybe the newest buses do, but I have never ever been on a school bus that had AC

I don't see that as impossible. I'm sure it's just an option like everything else. We are both making our points. I think yours are understandable. I hope you see mine the same. Nothing more than point of view and experience. Unless some School guru gets on here and sets us straight.

I have never been on a school bus with ac. Everyday when riding in the winter the windows would be fogged up like a mother f'er. Every warm day the windows would have been down. I have been on many charter buses that all had ac.

If anything make those fuckers ride their bus to school. Who is looking out for my ass when I walk 20 minutes to class freezing my cock off? :p

I had a class at 7 am today. You ain't tellin me nothin man. Freaking stupid cold this morning.

I always thought they cancelled school when it was cold because it would be a bitch to get the buses started because they are diesel.....

no it was closed today due to all the walkers if every kid rode a bus it would not have been cancelled.

If many of them didn't close enough parents would keep the kids home an complain that they should have closed school for the day. Then there are the parents that would have drove the kids to school and caused a huge traffic jam and saftey hazzard. As a school district you are damned either way and when you are dealing with peoples children you will want to error on the side of caution.

Per head of transportation for Dublin schools:

"With the wind chill being -20, the concern was for the walkers and the younger kids waiting for the bus".

"Our buses do not have AC". "I'm not aware of any schools in this area that have AC in their buses". "It is an option".

He was very nice about the info. I did not grow up in this area, so my experience is from growing up in Vermont. My thought was if we had AC up there, it should be here. I stand corrected.

I actually called on this over an hour ago and have been trying to finish writing it, but been a bit busy here at work. Just thought I would share my findings.

no it was closed today due to all the walkers if every kid rode a bus it would not have been cancelled.

i think it was for A. the walkers and B. "too cold for kids to wait for the bus"

and a lot of schools have called off for tomorrow also. :bs: