Stamped concrete

mrblunt

We are looking to put a patio behind our new house. I've seen some nice stamped concrete patios on the internets and was wondering if anyone on here does this? I'd like to get an estimate of how much this sort of thing runs so that when the tax money comes rolling in we can do something nice back there.

I'd rather just lay the brick/stone/tile then have a poured and textured patio. Your first crack will spoil the effect. I've layed flagstone before and managed to get it flat (stayed that way for 7 years and running). If I can do that, brick or tile should be easy. Plus it gives you more freedom to add or subtract as you change your mind. And by "you change your mind", I mean your wife chages hers and makes you do the work. ;)

The stamped concrete is an awsome product. You can get alot of interesting colors and textures this way. I know I have asked Sam about it and he said that they have done it before.

As long as the base is prepared properly and control cracks are put in you won't have cracking through the pattern. Also consider the weather outside during the poor and cure. Keep the concrete covered with plastic and blankets once it sets up to keep the cure nice and slow. This reduces the amount of shrinkage you get and that is what creates cracks.

I would do stamped concrete without hesitation as long as I was confident in the skills of the contractor. Who ever you choose to do it have them give you references and see if it is possible to go look at some of the jobs they have done and see what things look like.

Good luck man.

I'm an engineer for a large concrete construction company. Lately I've been doing a lot of Honda/Toyota industrial floor jobs($4 Million +). The superintendent I'm teamed up with owns a shitload of stamps and does frequent side jobs. If you can give some info like slab thickness, square footage, desired strength, subbase, pattern, color, ect., I might be able to work out an estimate.

You just need to make sure you hire someone that knows what the fuck they are doing, I've been on some residential side jobs where we have fixed some HUGE fuck ups. I wouldn't recommend pouring anything untill spring... you should see some of the shit we go through to pour in the winter.

We are looking to put a patio behind our new house. I've seen some nice stamped concrete patios on the internets and was wondering if anyone on here does this? I'd like to get an estimate of how much this sort of thing runs so that when the tax money comes rolling in we can do something nice back there.

I can do it if you want me to look at it. I will be out runnin around tomorrow if you want me to look at it.

You just need to make sure you hire someone that knows what the fuck they are doing, I've been on some residential side jobs where we have fixed some HUGE fuck ups. I wouldn't recommend pouring anything untill spring... you should see some of the shit we go through to pour in the winter.

But, wouldn't the temperature effect the longevity of the conrete? Or is that just moisture?

Guest LSWON333
All my company does is landscape designs, paver patios/driveways and stone/block retaining walls. No mowing or maintenance crap like that strictly patios and retaining walls. Ive been doing hardscapes for 14 years. Ive done patio's/driveways from 300 square feet up to 3000 square feet. I worked at Wexners house for 3 years and layed alot of the brick out there and also some down on Nationwide blvd when I worked for a concrete/construction company. Anyways im doing some maintenance work and adding pics to my website now but it should be back up by Friday. You should check it out. Ill beat anybodys price on pavers... Its http://www.buckeyelandscapedesign.com

Guest LSWON333
The stamped patios look nice but are known to crack especially when temps get low like they are now. Pavers, if they ever do settle you just pull a couple bricks up, fill the sunken area with sand, put the bricks back and compact them. Once concrete cracks your screwed. Depending on what you choose, prices will go from 10 or 11 a square foot up to 18 or 19 a square foot. Oh i also warranty all my work for 2 years.

No offense to the landscaping companies involved, but stamped concrete is not the same as a sidewalk, or brushed driveway. It requires attention to concrete chemistry to end up with a good final product. Reducers, bonding agents, temperature, actual mix ingredients, so on and so on.

Best analogy I can think of is many people can spray paint all sorts of things but a truly show quality paint job does not come from someone who did it for a little while and does it here and there. Stamped concrete is a job for an architectural concrete company not a hardscape place. Just like I would not hire a hardscape guy to put in a concrete counter top in my kitchen since the sciences, applications, curing, and bonding processes are very very similar.

No offense to the landscaping companies involved, but stamped concrete is not the same as a sidewalk, or brushed driveway. It requires attention to concrete chemistry to end up with a good final product. Reducers, bonding agents, temperature, actual mix ingredients, so on and so on.

Best analogy I can think of is many people can spray paint all sorts of things but a truly show quality paint job does not come from someone who did it for a little while and does it here and there. Stamped concrete is a job for an architectural concrete company not a hardscape place. Just like I would not hire a hardscape guy to put in a concrete counter top in my kitchen since the sciences, applications, curing, and bonding processes are very very similar.

Could not of said it any better. The secret to concrete not cracking is the base under it. If the base isnt good then the concrete will not last. Alot of people think you can just form up concrete and pour on top of whatever you want. This is not the case, all grass and topsoil and loose dirt needs to be removed and then a good packed gravel base needs to be laid. Also all drains and downspouts need to be noticed to make sure there is no way for water to get under the slab. Water is also a enemy for concrete. Once the soil or base is wet underneath a slab and it freezes, then thaws the concrete is goin to pop. So a base is the main thing for keeping concrete together.

As far as pavers go, they are nice and are easliy maintained but they do have a tendency to move some unless like said before a good base is put down. Sand under pavers is never a good base. You need a good lime stone screed mixture for a base. Something that when water hits it, it will harden and not stay soft. Sand always gets washed away and you are always fixing pavers.

Now with concrete cracking, there is a reason for relief joints to be cut into the slab whether it be with a saw or tooled in. Usually on a stamped job, joints are sawed in and are never noticed. These joints help relief any stress on the concrete and will take of any hair line cracks in the concrete.

Guest LSWON333
I put no less than 4 to 6 inches of base with 411's(compact the base every inch installed) then the sand is used for screeding which is what the pavers are set on. After they are down they get compacted again ( 200lb plate compactor). The base is the key though with concrete or pavers. I get all my materials from a place called oberfields, You should check their website to get an idea of the variety of pavers they have. http://www.oberfields.com LOL I have fixed a few(raised) patios that had 8 to 10 inches of sand under the brick. That would be what you get if you have a contractor that is low balling every other company. That customer ended up paying about 4 grand more than they would have if they hired me from the get go.

Guest LSWON333
Yea i spent alot of $$$ with them last year, Robin and Linda are at Alum Creek. I stopped going there because Linda is a biotch. Todd at sunbury is my man now, plus most of the work im doing is in westerville, powell, new albany etc.the north side. I used to use unilock alot but i started using oberfields and now i get everything from them.

Now with concrete cracking, there is a reason for relief joints to be cut into the slab whether it be with a saw or tooled in. Usually on a stamped job, joints are sawed in and are never noticed. These joints help relief any stress on the concrete and will take of any hair line cracks in the concrete.

Unless your soff cut guy sucks, then it's noticeable. :)

Don't pour anything right now (winter in gen unless you have to) especially stained concrete. Sure you can blanket it, but on something like that don't take chances. If you are wanting some type of curve on the patio, don't let your concrete guy cheap out and use 2x4's to round the edges out then go back and try to fill the curve with concrete. Make sure they use metal flex forms. We just cut up/removed/re-poured a $8,000 stained patio that the original guy fugged up big time. He got the pattern down good, but that's about all he did right. Definitly get someone who has done this before, and doesn't talk big game/small price. Do it once right, even if you have to pay alittle more. You'll be happier in the end.