Friend Requests

Todd#43

I got a "friend request" today from someone on the board.

I'm not sure how to handle this. Where I come from, you kind of end up as friends with someone, or you dont. You don't have to ask, there isn't a formal "request" process to become someone's friend, it just sort of happens.

Can someone explain this concept to me? I mean, if I "allow" this person to be my friend what ,if any, responsibilities come with that? Am I forever bound by some O-R code or something? What's the proper protocol for breaking up if and when I no longer agree with this person's opinions or posts?

Help an old guy out here....

NOTE: If the person who requested my friendship reads this and is offended, I'd like to apologize in advance. My questions are in no way a reflection of my opinion towards you, and I don't want to sully our potential "friendship" in any way, prior to us actually being "friends".

You're taking this waaaaay too serious.

I tend to think of "friends" on the internet more as acquaintances. It comes with as much or as little responsibility as you want. Meaning, you can make every effort to meet the person and have a beer with them every night, or you can add them just to increase your friend count - and anything in between.

But, maybe I'm wrong... what if there is some unwritten code? I'm a shiddy internet friend then.

You're taking this waaaaay too serious.

I tend to think of "friends" on the internet more as acquaintances. It comes with as much or as little responsibility as you want. Meaning, you can make every effort to meet the person and have a beer with them every night, or you can add them just to increase your friend count - and anything in between.

But, maybe I'm wrong... what if there is some unwritten code? I'm a shiddy internet friend then.

Nah...I'm not taking this too seriously. A friendship shouldn't be entered into lightly. I have to figure there's SOME sort of responsibility that goes with it, otherwise there wouldn't be a process to become friends.

If you're being a shiddy internet "friend" you better pick it up. Maybe buy a nice gift for everyone on your list - you know, "spread the wealth" around a little bit.

:lol::lol: Gotta hand it to ya, that was a good one.

You could think of it as a tip, you know, for providing a "service". I'm sure the wages for being an "internet friend" aren't the greatest, and some of your acquaintances probably depend on that to get through. ;)

Todd you know you're going to be bombarded with "friend" requests now.. ;)

Actually, I have no friends in my "list", and I haven't received any additional requests. Just the one I got earlier yesterday. I'm thinking maybe someone did it by mistake?

I was thinking the same thing :p' date=' also was thinking if hes buying gifts then I wanna be his friend too :D[/quote']

Nope, not buying gifts - that was a suggestion for JRMMiii. He was worried that he was a shiddy internet friend.

todd, do your parents know your gay?

You might wanna ask your mom about that.

Actually, I have no friends in my "list", and I haven't received any additional requests. Just the one I got earlier yesterday. I'm thinking maybe someone did it by mistake?

I sent you one now, too... :lol: now if everybody follows suit..