laptop help

Big A

hey, like it say i need help. i have a dell inspiron 5160.it is about 3 years old. i was having some problems with it shutting off, i took it to the laptop guy and they told me it needs a new motherboard. It was going to cost around $400ish i believe. any way to do it cheaper or any other ideas? should i just get a new laptop?

sounds like you need to clean out the cpus heatsink. the way laptops are usually made a lot of dust and stuff gets in there stuck between the heatsink and the fan, so just using an air can wont get it out. you have to actually take it apart and pull out what will probably be 2 inches of dust and hair out of there. and be careful laptop cpus arent always clipped in very well if at all, so sometimes if your not careful they can pop out which isnt bad so long as you dont bend the pins. most of the time with symptoms such as randomly shutting down your, computer is just overheating due to the lack of air flow, and a lot of tech guys see this as getting $400 for 10 minutes of work because most people dont know better and will just go along with a new mainboard. good luck!

sounds like you need to clean out the cpus heatsink. the way laptops are usually made a lot of dust and stuff gets in there stuck between the heatsink and the fan, so just using an air can wont get it out. you have to actually take it apart and pull out what will probably be 2 inches of dust and hair out of there. and be careful laptop cpus arent always clipped in very well if at all, so sometimes if your not careful they can pop out which isnt bad so long as you dont bend the pins. most of the time with symptoms such as randomly shutting down your, computer is just overheating due to the lack of air flow, and a lot of tech guys see this as getting $400 for 10 minutes of work because most people dont know better and will just go along with a new mainboard. good luck!

FTW

Take that bad boy apart and clean it all out good. Better than just trying to blow out the vents. Once you've cleaned it all out good, you can help maintain it by keeping whatever surface you have it on clean and blow out the vents with some canned air if nothing else on a regular basis.