Dyno rumors...

Turbotrio

I agree with you on the convenience. It just seems like an awful lot of overhead for a market that has a lot of choices for similar services. I really hope it works out for the shop. Its definitely nice to have one so close to my house.

Buying/leasing a dyno is certainly a bad idea if the usage is going to be for "dynoing cars". The shops that prospher from a dyno are the ones who use it as a tool for R&D development of custom parts that can't be purchased anywhere else.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question will determine where the majority of tunes will be done. If said purchase is the 424xLC, the answer is yes. If its the 424x, the answer is unfortunetly not.

However, most of the 2wd variants can be outfitted with a torque cell.

This is the most important question in this thread.

I think you're thinking of Shad Bucher who is a guy who owns an EVO and lives up in Johnstown. He is in no way related to David Buschur.

Buschur Racing is located in Wakeman OH (about 15min east of Norwalk).

David Buschur is a tool. I asked him about doing work on a MITSUBISHI turbo, his specialty, and he told me to call turbochargers.com :nono:

I had my car tuned at buschur on the infamous Heartbreak dyno, I didn't care, I saw a 44hp gain from base map of stg 2 PDX Cobb tuned map(OTS) to 100 octane high boost custom map on a VF39 stock turbo. Stock STIs put down about 200ish HP on the mustang at Buschur. (Yes anthony Buschur is up in wakeman close to norwalk)

SO I had a 44hp gain from downpipe with high flow cat and of the shelf map from PDX. $1500

Then another 44hp from custom tune and 100 octane. $330 including fuel and dyno time.

SO now I have 288 on 100 oct. and 320 lbft tq (I enjoy the tq much more, car is very fun to drive, and very reliable. 15,000 miles later no issues yet and pulls very well to redline even on the 93 pump gas map.

I thought the dyno crew at buschur was top notch and they strapped the car down and took good care. Very fast, my car was tuned in an hour with a pump gas and 100 oct map by Tim Bailey of PDX tuning. He was very proffesional also.

SO for my expierence at buschur, I didn't care that it read low, all that mattered is the gain from the base line. 44HP and 32 lbft tq for $330 is a good value to me.

The guys up at buschur are tuning 06 WRX's right now up there that are putting down numbers that STIs like mine put down. :o

Buying/leasing a dyno is certainly a bad idea if the usage is going to be for "dynoing cars". The shops that prospher from a dyno are the ones who use it as a tool for R&D development of custom parts that can't be purchased anywhere else.

Dynoing cars is the main reason shops purchase a dyno. You can charge $300-$400 to tune one car, $80 for a couple of pulls and host dyno days that bring in income. I have people call all the time about renting the dyno for their personal car. I will admit that it can be a risky investment. I looked at an AWD dyno when I purchased mine and the payments on it were outrageous. You better be able to get the cars in there to cover the payments or it can put a shop out of business fast.

Jason

To me it seems like a relativly safe investment (dynoing and r&d). They dont tend to depreciate to badly so even if there is a lot of pressure to make payments there is always an out to sell and re-group some.

I predict it will be in use quite a bit at the shop.