1995 Formula, Problems after Opti install

clayton006

Hello all. It's been a while. Life has caught up to me and I haven't been able to post for a while.

Well, I had to have another shop install my opti because my newer TA got totaled and I didn't have anything else to drive.

Well the shop installed the opti and new plug wires, and as it turns out they said when the car warmed up it started to backfire. Well the car never did that before the install!

So they find out that the #2 and #4 injector wires were backwards (now I didn't do that, I couldn't drive the car)

So now it's not backfiring at all, but the idle is rough, but that car revvs up smoothly. Could they have fouled those two plugs? does my PCM need to re-learn the fuel curves?

I don't have the car back because they want to clean it out, but I think that more work needs to be done here.

I've done the opti before myself (many times trust me) but they told me that my timing cover was cracked and I had a few bad seals. They said that oil took out my opti (which looking under the car I can believe). If I do get the car back soon and I can at least drive it, could someone else me troubleshoot? I have a garage, but it's not very big to work on a car in..

New update,

The repair shop called me and said he's been through 3 opti's and said that each one burns up and gives him the low resolution pulse failure. He's using the Napa remaned opti's and he's going to try one from the dealer.

When you get that low res pulse failure that's indicative of opti failure right? That's at least what I thought. Could there be anything else causing this failure? He's also getting a new cable from the dealership from the PCM to the opti. I gave him a new one from a GM dealership, but he's also going to try that.

Any ideas?

they replaced the short jumper harness from the engine wire harness to the dist. but did they check the wire harness from the ingition system test connector to the PCM? the low res code your talking about is code 16, it can be set if the opti was installed wrong making the timing off and the PCM sees a low res. signal. you can also try an ingition control module (next to coil) the flow chart i'm reading says something about that as well. i don't know what shop you took it too but i don't think i would go there again, sounds like they have Dee Dee Dee working on your car because it doesn't take almost a week to diag. a car.

Well they argue that it can't be the ignition module because the car is getting spark.... hmm....

They aren't charging me anymore until they actually know what the problem is. I would be more than willing to take it somewhere else, but I don't want to throw away 1400 dollars.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the last update:

I got my car back today. It's idle-ing a lot better than it did prior to all of this mess which is nice. They found out that there was a bad ground going to my ignition module / coil (I forget which one even though they are both right there) and it was causing all sorts of crap to happen.

I'm just glad to have the car back. Now only if I can find a local speed shop that's trustworthy and does great work.... :D