snowboarders?

stevethepirate

after a thread in the garage sale section (check out the thread "snowboard package"!!) im curious to see what types of setups people are riding with.

ive always ridden a burton board (ive had 2 customs, now i have a baron) and i LOVE them. the other thing which i never wanted to get away from was my flow bindings. i grew up snowboarding in temperatures like -20* Celcius. i always got so cold sitting down to latch my bindings (stupid ratchets) so i got some flows. had em for 7-8 years, never had a single problem with them. i just bought new boots (salomon, wides) they didnt fit in my old flows. so i went and bought some Flow NXT's. of course, in the first few days of riding with them, i snapped the back plate in 4 pieces.

i finally gave in and went and bought some burton p1 carbons (damn ratchets :mad: ) and i kinda like em!

what does everyone else ride with!

I own a couple of Burton's and I will not own another (unless it's a great deal). They make a high quality board. But, 2 years ago I went to the factory in Vermont to buy some boots and I could not believe how shitty they treated everyone. I wrote a solid email to customer service and received no reply. I had been a Burton supporter for over 10 years. My senior year of HS, I was on the slops and just ended up riding this run with another snowboarder. Nothing big, we stopped and were talking and introduced ourselves, he said his name was Jake Burton. I played it cool, not thinking it was really him. The guy was still cool though. I saw his picture later and sure enough, I had been talking to the owner of Burton snowboards. From seeing how cool and laid back he was and after years of great service, and then having them act like assholes when I'm trying to spend $200 for fucking boots(I hate that). That was it for me. I will buy Ride, Lib Tech(now merged with Morrow) or a few others. I can find, and have, a complete setup for a fraction of the cost of what Burton sells for. And it's guaranteed still. Look into a company called 24/7. I just picked up a board/binding deal for $250, an equal setup with Burton would have run me $600+.

As for bindings, I got rid of the Burton p1's I had. I thought they were heavy and I didn't like the back being so high. I replaced them with Burton freestyles that were on sale for $99, and those have been pretty good for what they are on (Burton 7). All my bindings are ratchet. I have broken a few and had several that took a beating and never broke. It's kind of hit and miss with liking them.

One thing that is getting weird to say is that I've been riding for, going on 18 years. I don't feel old. But, for me to hear that from someone, I would think,"Man, that dudes old".

Right now I ride a K2 nemesis, some Burton boots,(only ones i could find in my size), and some Ride SPi bindings. I have had the SPis for about 5 years and they need replaced soon but they are great bindings. Next year I'm looking into a GNU Carbon High Beam Wide, or something else wide with the new magnatraction.

I have a board that is borrowed, it slides on the snow and that's all I need for now. :D

I'll be looking probably next year for an all new setup once I can actually ride decent enough to tell the difference between stuff.

mojoe, thats funny that you met jake burton. if he is anything like his nephew (josh burton, the goalie for my hockey team) he must be a really nice guy!

thats pretty crazy that youve been riding for 18 years. you started when i was 1! i remember when i started almost 9 years ago, there was hardly any one else riding. i had changed over from skiing, and it was so rebelious.

next winter we should get some day trips planned.

I ride a Nitro Atlas 160 board, it is a freestyle/park board designed for larger footed rider and still maintains excellent powder capabilities due to the large surface area, and yes, it still hauls ass. I use some 5150 boots and a set of Ride SPY bindings. Love my setup :)

I have always been a burton guy but have everything from burton to rad air's. This year I bought a rome machine with rome arsenal bindings and burton moto boots. For those who dont know rome is the new anti-Burton company. They have been around for a couple years and the story is that two guys who were fired from burton started a new company with similiar and better designs. People are just now figuring out that rome is secretly funded and owned by burton. I love my new rome and will continue to own a rome/burton.

when i had just outgrown my burton custom, i went snowboarding in the summer on a glacier in france. i had a guy who was on the italian national team, and volkl's (the company) snowboarding team as my guide. he let me borrow one of his prototype boards which had INSANE flex, and the whole top of it was grip material like on skateboards. it was a sick board, but i havent been able to find it for sale anywhere.

street pilot- where in colorado have you been?

I like the Rome concept. This is the second company to come from Burton roots (as employees, not sponsored riders). The first was OS, or Original Sin. They made such great boards at a great price, that they went BK and had to close. they were truly a boarders for boarders company that went under. Sux. If Rome can keep their prices down in the next 2 years, I'll be looking into them as well.