looking to do first trans rebuild

XChris1632X

In all honesty I do not know much about internals of trannys. My work has a 99 e-350 box truck with a 4r100 in it which I have never heard of. I lost overdrive in this down in noteethtown WV this week, I figure it needs a rebuild. I am a tractor trailor/desiel mechanic but have never been into a trans internally. I see it as a challenge and would really like to try to rebuilt this and save the company money while getting the experience on my shops tab. At the same time I need to be confident that I can pull it off with no problems and be able to ensure my boss of that so he will let me do it. I can not afford it to not succeed. For those of you with experience, should I give it a shot? Any tips, or info on this tranny and specialty tools I may need?

If it's like an electronic GM tranny, prepare to spend way more on custom tools alone than it would for a professional to rebuild it.

Per my 4L60E attempt earlier in the year.

i rebuild GM transmissions all the time, you can do everything with basic hand tools. special tools just make it easier for somethings. no come backs in the few years i've been rebuilding them so i must be doing something right lol

Guest McDonald
I went to Wyotech, and in Drivetrain we learned automatic transmissions based off of the 4T60E. I tore down a few 4L60E's while i was there, along with about 15 manuals and so on.. They look as if it would be a big task if you have ever seen one all apart on a table, but if you have a good memory you should have no problem.. If you want you could even take photo's as you go along to remember how every thing came out. If you would like me to explain powerflow to you, I would do the best I could over the internet so you can grasp it.

Guest McDonald
Yea there just isnt much in a manual gear box, shift rods, gears, synchro's shift forks. . I graduated about 8 months ago from the Blairsville Pennsylvania campus, i took Automotive and Street Rod.