98-01 Preludes

70rsz28

My Dad and i are pretty interested on getting a Prelude to share for a daily driver. I haven't done to much reseach on them but I've delt with plenty B-series and completly trust Honda quality, but I had a few questions.

-Is there anything certian need to look out for?

-Whats so special about the Type-SH other than traction control?

-Do all of the 98-01s have the same engine and power numbers?

-What do they run in the 1/4 stock?

-How well do they handle and how do they react to suspesion mods?

-Are they just like all other Hondas and run good for +200k miles?

I know I should go to a Honda fourm but I figured I'd see what I could learn here. Thanks for any help guys.

The SH model has an odd(at least to me) planetary gear type limited slip that I hear is terribly complex, expensive and has no performance benefit from what I've read. I'd get a 5 speed but their tough to find. Overall a very good car.

There is a lady at my work that is interested in selling hers. Its a green SH model. I was thinking of grabbing it as a daily but ended up finding a mint 1g awd that I couldn't pass up. Her car is very clean and she has had all the factory service done on it. PM me for her contact info.

This 98 5-speed I found for $6500 has 123k miles. Mugen Exhaust, Iceman Intake, Header, Custom Wheels, runs good, great gas mileage, had oil changed every 3,000 miles, comes with original wheels with snow tires.<-From the Ad

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/5/6/200/761/452638093.200761526.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Oddly I actually really like the red wheels on it, I would've never thought I'd like red wheels on anything.

My Dad and i are pretty interested on getting a Prelude to share for a daily driver. I haven't done to much reseach on them but I've delt with plenty B-series and completly trust Honda quality, but I had a few questions.

I know I should go to a Honda fourm but I figured I'd see what I could learn here. Thanks for any help guys.

Wikipedia is your friend but

Engine

2.2L 195 hp(97-98) I4

2.2L 200 hp(99-01) I4

SH = Active Torque Transfer System.

According to Wiki....

The USDM fifth-generation Preludes also saw enhancements in the engine, with the full line now offering VTEC H22A4 engines, an evolution of the H22A1 with higher flowing heads, making 195 hp (198 PS, 143 kW) @ 7000 rpm and 156 lb·ft (212 Nm) @ 5250 rpm from 1997 to 1999, and the same torque readings with 200 hp (203 PS, 147 kW) @ 7000 rpm from 1999 to 2001 with a compression ratio of 10.0:1. The USDM fifth-generation had a Type SH ("Super-Handling") trim which featured the Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS), and, along with the five-speed base model, shared the exact same gearing as the Type S and SiR-S spec trims in Japan. This system allowed Honda to overcome the limitations of front-wheel drive somewhat, and in 1997, Car and Driver named the Prelude Type SH the "best-handling car under $30,000."

I am pretty sure the 5th generation preludes all require 92 octane gas. You can get an older Acura CL Type S coupe with a bigger engine for around the same price as an Prelude SH. But I have always likes Preludes better.

I don't know how well they react to mods since I never owned one. And make sure timing belt, water pump, Serpentine belt was changed at 90-100K.

I have a 5 speed 01' SH and I really like it. If you are gonna get one definately get a manual one. My friend had an auto and it just wasn't nearly as fun. They are very reliable cars and rarely have problems. The SH is just better handling but it is pretty hard to tell unless your flying into corners. They run like low 15's in the 1/4 stock. They handle extremely well and are pretty fun to drive on twisty roads. My friend has skunk2 coilovers on his and the body does not move at all. As long as they are serviced regularly they will run forever. I say if you are going to go into the market for a 4 banger a 98-01 prelude is the way to go.

Timing Belt done every 65-70K

Automatic SSs transmission will fail @ about 80K.

Manuals can develop 5th gear grind.

Spins the wheel getting the most traction faster in a corner, gives FWD car RWD handling characteristics. Technology has been used on newer Acuras, the RL, MDX, RDX etc.

Manual rated @ 195-200hp Autos @ 190-195

Stock they dyno 156-160 to the wheels.

I have intake/header/exhaust/VAFC and have dynoed 183

My best was 15.2 stock @ Norwalk

Like a dream, won best handling car under $30K in their heyday. Were brought into a competetion for best handling car period (based on their win in under 30K test) did quite well beating out cars much more expensive.

Depends, if you leave the car alone and do the timing belt every 65-70K if will last just as long. The H22 was Hondas test bed for FRM cylinder walls, when driving hard day after day and added alot of power to, the cars burn unreasonable amounts of oil from 100,000 miles or so on.

Hope this helps.