Quick turn throttle

xtremef4i

I tried to post this in the How-To section, but it kept saying I didnt have permission. So Im posting here.

Im thinking about doing the poor man's quick turn throttle mod for my F4i. Rather than spend over $100 and have to re-wire a new kill switch, I am opting to be cheap and do it the ghetto way.

Does anyone have experience with this, using the zip tie method, or using a round section of PVC pipe around the throttle tube? Can you give me any insight to this or reccomendations? I googled this but al I ever find is yamaha or suzuki related stuff. I want to know specifically for my Honda if there is anyone out there.

So my question is, has anyone done this quick turn throttle mod the homemade way? If so, please share your experience and knowledge and any how to if you got it. Thanks in advance.

this is the how to i've got from my r6 board. different bikes same theory:

This modification will make it so you do not have to turn the throttle as much to get the throttle all the way open. This is so that you do not have to reposition your hand on the throttle to open it all the way. It is very useful to those who ride on the track.

A little warning about this modification.

This WILL make the throttle more sensitive. You will not have to open it as much to get the same amount of power as the stock throttle.

Things you need:

PVC pipe - 1 1/4 in

Dremel

Throttle off of your bike or a new one

Some type of glue (I used Loctite Super Glue)

Some sandpaper

This was done on a 2004 R6.

The unmodified stock throttle should open this much to get WOT.This modification will make it so you do not have to turn the throttle as much to get the throttle all the way open. This is so that you do not have to reposition your hand on the throttle to open it all the way. It is very useful to those who ride on the track.

A little warning about this modification.

This WILL make the throttle more sensitive. You will not have to open it as much to get the same amount of power as the stock throttle.

Things you need:

PVC pipe - 1 1/4 in

Dremel

Throttle off of your bike or a new one

Some type of glue (I used Loctite Super Glue)

Some sandpaper

This was done on a 2004 R6.

The unmodified stock throttle should open this much to get WOT.

11.jpg

22.jpg

First, go to any hardware store that sells PVC pipe and have them cut you a small piece of 1 1/4in pipe.

3.jpg

Remove your throttle from your bike. When doing the rest of this modification, I found it easier to detach the brake lever and right side ram air cover so they don't get in the way.

Now put the PVC pipe up against the throttle and mark where you want to cut it.

4.jpg

Cut the piece of pipe where you marked it at and slide it on the throttle tube.

5.jpg

Cut it some more if you have to to make sure the piece of pipe seats properly around the tube.

Now take it off the throttle, and using the dremel, round off the edges of the piece pipe. It should end up looking something like this.

6.jpg

Use some glue and glue it onto the pipe. You can use some sand paper to smooth it out if you want to.

--Make sure that the PVC pipe is not wider then the part of the tube you are glueing it to. If it is then it will rub against the housing and prevent the throttle from snapping back.--

Take the throttle housing off the clip on and remove the throttle lines from the housing. You're going to have to grind down the metal throttle line tubes so that they don't rub against the PVC. You will also need to grind down some parts inside the throttle housing itself. I've circled the parts that I grinded down using a dremel. (sorry that it is a little blurry)

7.jpg

Now you will have to loosen the throttle cable as much as possible. Here is the page from the service manual that explains how to do it.

8.jpg

Once it is loosened, you can now put the throttle back in.

Once you have it in, play around with it making sure that it is not rubbing anywhere. Turn the handle bars all the way to the left and right. When the handles bars are all the way to either side, rotate the throttle and let it go. It should snap back to its closed position. If it doesn't, then you may have to grind down some more parts because something is rubbing somewhere.

This is how much your throttle should turn when you are complete with this project.

9.jpg

and thats it.

i personally have not done it and don't really recommend it unless you are track only. it will be VERY touchy obviously.

as for specifics: the idea is exactly the same, a throttle tube is a throttle tube that does not vary from bike to bike.

For Suzukis we just buy a R6 throttle tube and put it on.. Reminds me I need to do that for my race bike. It is not a need faster accleration, but more comfort when running WOT.

R1 throttle tube (05-06 for sure as memory serves) is better on a 1000 vs. the 1/8th turn of the R6... Just some 411...

The R1 is more between 1/4 turn (OEM) and the 18th turn of the R6...1/8th on a 1000 is retarded quick.

personal opinion is.... NEVER,,,NEVER put a ziptie, pipe, or any other foreign object on your throttle tube. If it sticks, or comes loose, YOURE DEAD... spend some money and save a life. It could be yours.

Best advice here today. If you are wanting to put something foreign in your throttle tube and fuck with the cables and such in a manner like this, let the riders around you know so they all ride behind you in case shit jams in there....:eek:

personal opinion is.... NEVER,,,NEVER put a ziptie, pipe, or any other foreign object on your throttle tube. If it sticks, or comes loose, YOURE DEAD... spend some money and save a life. It could be yours.

+1 Especially if this is a street bike.

As far as I know, there isn't a cheap solution like the one posted for Honda...

1/4 turn throttle + Honda F4i + street bike = :confused:

If this is your track bike please disregard my blue friend.

Not sure why you are confused with the 1/4 turn throttle? 1/4 is usually stock for most bikes. Only a few come stock with 1/8th or 3/16th turn...

Sorter throw for street? Probably a waste. But, it does help if you have bigger hands and have to reposition every time you twist the throttle...

lizard what one do i need for the 03 750? One from an 03 r1? I have wrist problems after my highside and its no longer as easy to turn it that far.

Brandon I used an 04 R1 on my 03 600 and your 750s are the same as that model year 600 so it will work.

Not sure why you are confused with the 1/4 turn throttle? 1/4 is usually stock for most bikes. Only a few come stock with 1/8th or 3/16th turn...

Sorter throw for street? Probably a waste. But, it does help if you have bigger hands and have to reposition every time you twist the throttle...

Quit saying 3/16.. That is actually more rotation to get WOT then 1/4 which is stock..

Quit saying 3/16.. That is actually more rotation to get WOT then 1/4 which is stock..

Huh?

4/16th (1/4) is stock. closed|----|open

Smaller distance of pull is 3/16th. closed|---|open

Smaller yet is 2/16th (1/8th). closed|--|open

Where are you confused?

Edited by Desmo-Brian

time to hit e-bay! Do i need the whole thing? Do i have to re rout any cables?

Just go to a shop and spend $14 on the year like Chris stated (I'm not 100% on what year is right for your year, but I think Chris is dead on) and you'll get a new throttle tube with grip. Otherwise, you'll probably spend the same and have to pay shipping on top...

No issue with cables - it is a plug and play sort of deal. Take your throttle tube off and replace. Ride.

I'd do an 1/8th turn on a 750 in that year... Maybe get one of each and see what you like.