I give up!!!!

V8 Beast

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony made me realize something that I forgot about completely. When shopping for a tranny I looked at rwhp numbers and not rwtq numbers. At 600+rwtq for the street and 700+rwtq at the track the tranny I purchased couldnt handle the sudden torque spike. I'm going to have 3rd gear fixed on that thing and sell it.

Now I'm weighing options and prices. Considering Sams torque numbers I'm leaning heavily towards RPM. But Anthony also showed me another company that claims to hold up to 800, has a 2 year warranty, and free shipping.

RPM Level 5

Transperformance Level 3

Rossler

$1600 for transperformance (special e-bay price)

$3542 for the RPM tranny (Sam has one of their tranny's)

$3415 for Rossler (has to be shipped to them, Ray has one)

Help me out. Transperformance looks good and normally their trannys are $2500. Do you think it can hold???? It has a 2yr warranty but I would prefer not to have to use it.

Thanks again for the help Anthony!!!!!

If not the Transperformance, definitely the Rossler. Sam is running a T-56 not a 4L60E, and Ray Litz has proven locally what the Rossler (again, with the only trans-brake available for the "E" series) can do, and hold up well.

I'm seriously debating on the TP as well, because the warranty is killer and it seems the local F-Body guys are doing well with them.

Yeah, Sam and Linn have manuals... forgot about that. The only issue is that when I called Rossler it appears the tranny has to be sent to him. I was hoping to have one sent, install it, fix the other one, then sell it. I guess I could save some money since the beast sunshell, shift kit, etc are already in there. Plus I could finally get that transbrake. I almost ordered one but Ray said to make sure Rossler installs it because there is drilling involved. That TP is a savings of 2k!!! Decisions decisions!!!!

No shit. You have a better rear, too, so a brake would work wonders for you.

Very true... Rossler it is. No more cutting corners for me. Everytime I do I pay for it.

John just left and its definitely broke. Thanks again for the house call Dr. Rutan :D

Now I get to hear Ray say I told you so :p

I was checking out RPM and I just got off the phone with Carl. Cant go wrong with either one, and the prices are basically identical. I'm going to go with Rossler though. I've talked to him a few times and he's a great guy to work with. He also told me that since my car is lowered the deeper pan for the transbrake would cause clearance issues. They have special pans that can free up clearance but it would take about a month for it to come in. No trans brake for me....yet

I was checking out RPM and I just got off the phone with Carl. Cant go wrong with either one, and the prices are basically identical. I'm going to go with Rossler though. I've talked to him a few times and he's a great guy to work with. He also told me that since my car is lowered the deeper pan for the transbrake would cause clearance issues. They have special pans that can free up clearance but it would take about a month for it to come in. No trans brake for me....yet

Dont ever talk to me again....

Yes, because the conversion, extra parts needed to work with a PCM and 4th gen chassis setup, shifter replacement, parasitic loss, etc. all come into account.

How about you go get a Liberty conversion done on your T-56 and tell me how much you like driving distances or doing roll races? Yeah, it's like that.

RPM does make a kick ass trans , You can drive to Rossler thats the deal maker to me. Carl also has a another new 3-4 clutch pack. I wonder if your if your vacumn controller is working correctly. If its not it would burn up the 3-4 clutch pack in short order. Are you sure the vacum line is correct, plugged up, disconnected. I always hook a manual pressure gauge up and drive around to check line pressures after an install to verify tune. In your case the vacumn controller dictates line pressure I would bet your problem is in this system. I am leaving in a moment for a 7 day mexican cruise so good luck and ill check in next week

Yes, because the conversion, extra parts needed to work with a PCM and 4th gen chassis setup, shifter replacement, parasitic loss, etc. all come into account.

How about you go get a Liberty conversion done on your T-56 and tell me how much you like driving distances or doing roll races? Yeah, it's like that.

#1: PCM...why? Manual valve body and never deal with it. Seriously, at high power levels, I'd rather control my own shifting.

#2: By working in the chassis, do you mean buying one of the several crossmember kits out there, which aren't that expensive, a different lenght driveshaft, and if you haven't already done the mod, a torque arm that doesn't mount to the tranny (which anyone running that kind of power shouldn't have a torque arm mounted to the tranny anyway).

#3: Parasitic loss; I'd like some actual proof of loss from a built TH400 vs built 4L60E.

And I will be getting no conversion on my T-56, as I will most likely be getting rid of it. But I'm not going to spend a lot more money on a 4L60E on a inherentaly weaker design that I won't trust. I like trusting my driveline. :)