97 dodge ram bogging down

XChris1632X

The girlfriend has a 97 dodge ram that just started missing and more importantly everytime you drive it when it has sat for an hour or two it will start bogging, bucking and backfiring at around 30 or so for about 5 seconds and then all will be normal untill it sits for a bit. Im thinking it might be o2 sensors and im going to take a look at them today but was wondering if anyone had experience with maybe ignition parts going bad. Or has any other ideas what it could be. Also no check engine light has came on.

Guest Removed
no thats not all he post, plus if you had an opportunity to make money AND make your boss happy with all the "referals" wouldn't you be doing the same?

the sad part is we have been so damn bizzy, Ive been cutting back on doing it.Nothing wrong if tryying too fixx peoples cars correctly and honestly is there? :confused: (have too admit, there are some bad places too get your car fixxed in this town) :o

Thanks gearhead I was just hoping for some ideas or to see if anyone had any past experience with this, Id like to fix it myself. Plus now if you start it and let it run for about 3 or 4 mins just idleing it will start cutting out and missing and it boggs down so much that I looked at the tach and it was at 0 rpms but the truck was still just barely running.

Guest Removed

could be bad tuneup, very weak fp, shorted o2 sensors, etc ,etc..bad ecu, dropped a valve, sucked the intake gasket in. hell i could go on and on.

too hard too tell man. sorry

but then thats why they make so many neat diagnostic tools. so you can figure out whats wrong.

sorry, that one is a little hard too GUESS at over the net.

Gearhead

I'm just busting your balls. No harm meant. I't just funny. An yes.....online, it is almost always GUESSING.

I hope my issue is that easy :D

KillJoy

well the key reason that I thought someone might be able to throw a little help at it was that it would only do it in the first couple mins of me driving and then it would go away and all be good. If it was an intake gasket or fuel pump other things of the sort it would do it constantly. Thats why I was leaning towards o2's maybe a map sensor, something computer related.

Guest Removed
put a scanner on it and watch all the values in real time right after you start it up easiest way to find the problem engine light on or not

WELL, YOUD HAVE TOO KNOW WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT FIRST.

Just FYI - sucking the intake gastket on the 5.2/5.9 dodges is VERY VERY common. Just spray some carb clean around the base of the intake. If it starts running better/worse, there you go. I have seen this many times when a guy at my work used to have a gasser dodge as his daily truck. He must have put about 5-6 intake gaskets on it. His complaint, loss of power up hills, rough running, and occasional backfire.

Guest Removed
Just FYI - sucking the intake gastket on the 5.2/5.9 dodges is VERY VERY common. Just spray some carb clean around the base of the intake. If it starts running better/worse, there you go. I have seen this many times when a guy at my work used to have a gasser dodge as his daily truck. He must have put about 5-6 intake gaskets on it. His complaint, loss of power up hills, rough running, and occasional backfire.

I said that...but was told its not possible :rolleyes:

the 3.9s do it too, the gasket between the two intake halfs splits just like the v-8s do.