DVD upconverting

MrMeanGreen

So my living room DVD player crapped out last night at 8pm. I went to Best Buy to see what they had, and found the section of "upconversion" DVD players.

I ended up buying one from LG that does a max of 1080i, HDMI cable, and DVI-to-HDMI adapter since my TV uses a DVI input. The picture quality is amazing for not being "true" 1080i, but I see a fair amount of dark pixelating where there's large patches of black being used.

Has anyone else bought one, and does this happen to you? I did some reading on the internet, and it seems this is a side-effect of the conversion process, although it differs depending on the circumstances. Also, what options do you use to view the movie, and what's the best you can get out of it with minimnal pixelating but with maximum quality?

I've noticed this on ours as well, but only noticed just a little bit. You can set the image size down a bit and that may help but I'm not sure. We usually only run ours at 720p at best though, so that may be causing your pixelization.