Tuning Primer

thorne

I'm looking into learning to tune my wrx. With some of the mods I'm hoping to do I think paying 250 plus each time is going to get pretty expensive. I understand the basics. Don't knock don't lean. Don't go out of your turbo efficently. I've got a few dyno pulls lined up I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. Right now I'm just planning to test a few diffrent OTS flashes.

EFI101 Does it cover boosted aplications. I don't need the big tuning yet I'm gooing OTS. But I've bean looking at the tunes to learn.

I've done tons of reading, Just seems all i find is 60000 foot overviews.

I will look into grabbing this boook .

EFI101 Does it cover boosted aplications. I don't need the big tuning yet I'm gooing OTS. But I've bean looking at the tunes to learn.

I've done tons of reading, Just seems all i find is 60000 foot overviews.

I will look into grabbing this boook .

Understand NA 110% before you even look into FI. You might want to take a small engine repair course to familiarize yourself with engines.

Understand NA 110% before you even look into FI. You might want to take a small engine repair course to familiarize yourself with engines.

Gotta understand how it works before you start tinkering with it.....

why not wait and do the installs at the same time and have Bryon at Mead Engineering tune it for you? He was the lead tech at Quantum Racing.

Guest GMoney
DO NOT take it Bryon he has no clue... i have watched him blow up WRX after WRX and blame it on the motor. He tuned a freinds WRX and we then took it Cory at slow-mo, Cory was able to make 50 more whp at 2 psi less boost, on the exact same dyno!

Guest Removed

efi101 is the shit, pricey class but well worth it.

egt gauge and a wideband= 4th gear tuning on the freeway.make small changes, watch the effects. plus reading plugs would really help, but on a wrx, it would just suck.

keep reading.there is a forum on just this subject.

• 3 weeks later...
DO NOT take it Bryon he has no clue... i have watched him blow up WRX after WRX and blame it on the motor. He tuned a freinds WRX and we then took it Cory at slow-mo, Cory was able to make 50 more whp at 2 psi less boost, on the exact same dyno!

WOW talk about not having a clue! You have watched me blow up wrx after wrx??? Really? Were you dreaming all of this or were you using an hallucinogenic drug? Just wondering.

Since I don't dyno tune(99.9% of the time) how exactly could Cory make 50 more HP than me on the exact same dyno? How the hell does that work?

know of any good places. I was looking to head to columbus state this year. Is there classes sufficent.

efi101 is the shit, pricey class but well worth it.

egt gauge and a wideband= 4th gear tuning on the freeway.make small changes, watch the effects. plus reading plugs would really help, but on a wrx, it would just suck.

keep reading.there is a forum on just this subject.

I've read the cobb tuning guide and a few other things the opensource guys have been giving me.

My cars at IPS right now getting the WB/Clutch installed. They also did just did my stage 2. Before i started having issues with my MAF and it not hitting target AFR. I found out I'm having a flow issue and the load I tuned for on the dyno was not in the new fuel maps I wrote. I'm targetting a AFR of 11.0-11.5 right now on the dyno it pulls timing and freaks. The maf reads way lower and it goes lean 12.9. I'm well aware thats bad. I also did not learm the car on the new flash. On the road after learning it I was seeing FULL timing advance no knock and running my 16IAM.

I also know my maf scaling would be off. One of the tuning shops that does opensource and services is going to assist me in calibrateing it.

The biggest thing I've learned is LOG LOG LOG.

What are you looking for?I have a few turbos in stock and TMIC's .injectors are only a day or two out.

Right now I'm not sure. I've got to wait till after vacation but, I'm looking for 280-300 at the wheels.