Assistance

lemosley01

Guys, I'm considering trading my ZX-9 in.

I'm stuck. I want a bike that can 'do it all'. Occasional track days (once or twice per year), long(er) distance rides, daily commuting, and can tote the wife from time to time. I don't want a full blown tourer (yet).

I'm considering:

CBR1000RR

ZX-10

ZX-14

The ZX-14 meets the last 3 criteria, but I'm not sure how it is on track and I'm somewhat concerned about the weight (nearly 100lbs wet more than my XZ-9) in day-to-day living. I have found several leftover 06's to boot.

The ZX-10 is, well, the ZX-10. Powerful motor, obviously can do track days. Not sure on pillion and long distance comfort, although they can be made more comfortable I suppose. Only problem I can only find 07 models, and I don't really want to pay a premium for an 07. Also, with the way the exhaust is built, it looks like saddle-bags aren't really an option without spending $$$$ on aftermarket CF cans.

The 1000RR is sort of like the ZX-10. I don't have a problem with Hondas and the leftover 06s I have found are going for cheap. I'm sure I would be happy with this bike as well - the liter bikes are all so close that in real world I'll never really know the difference. I've heard that the undertail can make the pillion get a little roasty.

The limited range on the 10R and 1000RR also somewhat concern me.

I have considered the Haybusa as well, but it seems everyone and their mother has one.

So, has anyone ridden all three (or two of the three) and can give me some comparisons?

None of these bikes for bags and storage.

If you are REALLY going to need storage on a bike youll end up with a sport touring bike of some sort.

You really need to chose what youll do most of... long distance riding with storage or short distance fun riding with your wife wearing a backpack hah.

Sport touring like the FJR1300..

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/030102top.jpg

How about an FZ1. I have a 01 FZ1 and it does it all. Comfortable on long trips, even with my wife. Able to mount lugage. Has plenty of power and fun to dip it into the twisties. Maybe consider newer 06-07 FZ1 if you want more style and power. Check it out.

2001-2005

http://www.presto-corp.jp/lineup/04_fzs1000/04_FZS1000_USA-DPBMC_s.jpg

2006-2007

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/VL5U2580.jpg

I have ridden the 1000rr and zx10 . The new Honda is really nice , I like the electronic steering dampner . Makes it feel nice and stable at high speeds .

I use to sell bike at Ask and Hines and my only advise would be is to take your wife and you guys jump on all of them to see how they feel . Unfortunately your zx9 is probably one of the more comfy liters out there .

Me I would get a Busa J/K . I think you cant go wrong with any of the newer bike , But if I had to pick one of the 3 of your choices . Honda 1000rr would get my vote .

Shoot me a PM and I will tell you all that I know on the ZX14. Ben is correct, I used to have an 02 FZ1. I liked it, but it was too tall, too softly sprung, and carbed. I got my ZX14 because I do ride a lot with my wife, I don't road race at all, I love 40-150 rolls, its fuel injected, its VERY smooth, VERY confident. I have ridden a ZX10 and it is a hell of a bike. It was just too small and racy for what I wanted. For the kind of riding I do...real world stuff like commuting 200 mile plus trips with cruiser bikes, and freeway blasts with anything that goes fast....the ZX14 was to me the perfect bike.

Also, google the Concourse 14, you just might like it ;)

Alos, if you and your wife would ever like to see/sit on a ZX14, let me know and I would be happy to meet up with you somewhere.

If you want something that does it ALL and your wife plans to ride with you a lot, I would say BUSA or 14. It will be a night and day difference for her comfort wise on one of those over a Liter bike.

I would wait and see what the '08 BUSA has unless you have to have a new bike this summer.... :cool:

Shoot me a PM and I will tell you all that I know on the ZX14. Ben is correct, I used to have an 02 FZ1. I liked it, but it was too tall, too softly sprung, and carbed. I got my ZX14 because I do ride a lot with my wife, I don't road race at all, I love 40-150 rolls, its fuel injected, its VERY smooth, VERY confident. I have ridden a ZX10 and it is a hell of a bike. It was just too small and racy for what I wanted. For the kind of riding I do...real world stuff like commuting 200 mile plus trips with cruiser bikes, and freeway blasts with anything that goes fast....the ZX14 was to me the perfect bike.

Also, google the Concourse 14, you just might like it ;)

Alos, if you and your wife would ever like to see/sit on a ZX14, let me know and I would be happy to meet up with you somewhere.

Cool - thanks Joe. You goona be out with Putty and Co. tomorrow?

I'm considering the 'busa as well. What are the plans for '08?

The info won't be released until Jun but rumors are everywhere. I've heard anywhere from 1330cc-1500cc but 200hp seems to be the concensus. Suzuki promised to rewrite the rules with the new BUSA just like they did back in '99 with the original..... :cool:

+2 for the VFR.

From your statements it seems like you're planning on taking out of state trips, possibly overnight stays somewhere, is that correct?

Have you been on the track before? What do you have in your mind as far a track riding goes?

As far as a street bike, it's hard to beat the VFR (newer FZ1 as well). They're comfy, have great midrange, and in the proper hands can show most sportbikes (and their riders) a thing or two in the twisties. All that with the hardbags on.

Track limitations are just ground clearance (which can be scary if you touch the center stand down), but you're going to have the same clearance/weight issues with a 14 or busa as well. I wouldn't buy a busa or 14 just because you think they'll be better suited to the track...now, if you like straight line speed, they're up your alley.

I would like the option to be able to do 200-400 miles without feeling totally wrecked afterwards with the occasional (maybe once or twice a year) out-of-state trip.

I did a track day last year - Mid-Ohio, and I loved it, which is why I'm afraid of going to something like a ZX-14/Busa because of the handling hit.

I guess what I really need is two bikes + more money for track days. I'm now leaning towards keeping my ZX-9. After travelling to hocking hills yesterday, I re-realized that it suits me pretty well and does everything nicely.

It would be nice if Kawi would bring the nine chassis back with ZX-10 power.

are you currently comfortable on your 9 riding those distances, or are you looking for an upgrade there?

How did you like your bike at the track? While your bike is a little heavy in track terms you may find that by updating the suspension you can take it pretty far. Rider makes up for a lot on the track. I've seen a guy riding a CBR1100XX that was getting over so far he was dragging his lower plastics! I also saw a guy riding a BMW 1150GS and flying on it, it takes all kinds.

If you are looking for something similar to your ZX9 but with more power you could also consider a ZX12. I'm sure you could find a good deal one these days.

are you currently comfortable on your 9 riding those distances, or are you looking for an upgrade there?

How did you like your bike at the track? While your bike is a little heavy in track terms you may find that by updating the suspension you can take it pretty far. Rider makes up for a lot on the track. I've seen a guy riding a CBR1100XX that was getting over so far he was dragging his lower plastics! I also saw a guy riding a BMW 1150GS and flying on it, it takes all kinds.

If you are looking for something similar to your ZX9 but with more power you could also consider a ZX12. I'm sure you could find a good deal one these days.

The 9 is comfortable for short-medium (<150 miles) distance. I have a set of helis I need to put on it. The seat is the worst part, but pretty much all the bikes have shitty seats and I have a plan to try some different tricks to see if I can make the seat more comfortable. Passenger seat I might be able to upgrade - my wife and I went for about a 60 mile ride the other night and she is complaining of being sore. She just needs more saddle-time.

As far as the track goes, I've never had another bike on the track on than the ZX-9, which, weight-wise, compares favorable to the 93 CBR F2 I had. I honestly have no complaints about it at the track. At this point, it isn't the motorcycle that is holding me back, it is just me.

I have considered the ZX-12. Similar but a little better ergos for both passenger and pilot. And a bunch more power.

Mostly, I just got bitten by the 'new-bike bug'. I'm slowly working it out of my system, though.

What is your build...?

I am 6' 2" & 195lbs and can ride for a couple hours on a BUSA without feeling sore. The biggest issue is the stock seat. Put on a jell seat and I could ride ALL day long without any problems.

I recommend the Honda VFR also if you are okay with that style. That's a great bike that will do everything VERY well for the price.... :cool:

What is your build...?

I am 6' 2" & 195lbs and can ride for a couple hours on a BUSA without feeling sore. The biggest issue is the stock seat. Put on a jell seat and I could ride ALL day long without any problems.

I recommend the Honda VFR also if you are okay with that style. That's a great bike that will do everything VERY well for the price.... :cool:

I'm 5'9" 180. I'm not 'fat', although I could stand to quit eating candy and other sugars. I lift and run regularly, so a lot of my weight is muscle (unlike 2 years ago when I was 200 and a lot of my weight WAS fat).

My biggest complaint about my bike is the seat. Now that I look at it, that's a damn stupid reason to get rid of it.

For some reason, I'm not really into VFRs. I used to like them, but they just don't 'do it' for me.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/zx9r02.shtml

the main problem with sportbike seats is that they lean forward and jam your nuts into the tank, the corbin seats will help this and provide you with a better seating position. They're generally harder than a stock seat, but you'll never notice with the improved position.

I'd look for one on ebay and try to save some money.

I completely understand the "new bike bug". If it has to be a new bike this season, take a look at a zx12. See if you can scam a ride on one. I know if you have the will power it'll go the distance. I used to have a customer who rode his to california and back every year.

I'm 5'9" 180. I'm not 'fat', although I could stand to quit eating candy and other sugars. I lift and run regularly, so a lot of my weight is muscle (unlike 2 years ago when I was 200 and a lot of my weight WAS fat).

My biggest complaint about my bike is the seat. Now that I look at it, that's a damn stupid reason to get rid of it.

For some reason, I'm not really into VFRs. I used to like them, but they just don't 'do it' for me.

If I were you, I would go buy a GOOD JELL seat and ride with that for a while. That will probably fix your problem except the good seats are around $100-150... :(