surround sound help

evan9381

so i finally purchased a surround sound about a month or two ago. went with a wireless rear set up...works quite well.

something im trying to figure out which the manual is not helping me at all with, is if there is a way to set it to where i can listen to the tv in surround mode, while im just watching regular tv. i have 0 issues with the surround with a movie in, but with the cable, i cant get the 2 rear speakers to work. wireless unit is plugged in, and speakers are hooked up

its a panasonic sc-ht440

I've had similar issues with other receivers. On each of mine, there was a separate mode I had to switch to when watching non dolby tv to force the audio through all the speakers. It would play in all speakers, just wouldn't be in true surround. You can try that and make sure whatever mode you're in, that the rear speaker volume is turned up high enough. There should be volume for each speaker plus the main volume, of course. Hope that helps at least a little bit until someone else chimes in.

You won't get regular TV in true surround sound, unless its meant to be in surround sound. Which most TV is not. All HDTV and some primetime shows will be though. As long as you have your receiver set on dolby digital/5.1 for the TV function it should be automatic.

My JVC RX-D201 has a setting called "Auto surround" If I'm watching a DVD, or playing the 360, or watching HDTV it selects either Dolby Digital or DTS. If I'm watching regular TV it selects an analog surround, usually Dolby Pro-logic II. BTW, I'm connected to both my cable box and Xbox 360 via digital connections.

Guest 78novaman

Broadcast/Cable TV is indeed in surround sound. It uses the old Pro Logic, remember that from the VHS days? If you have the correct equipment, some HDTV content is in true Dolby Digital 5.1 or sometimes DTS 5.1.

You should have a setting on your receiver to enable Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic II if yours is newer. Then any programming that says In Surround Sound where available will now come out of your rear & center speakers, sounding just like a VHS. There is not going to be a lot of sound, mainly just ambiance, but it does make a difference.

To test your setup, tune to AMC or watch The Simpsons, they have the best mixes that I've heard on TV. I've been told the primetime sound is getting better, but I don't watch any of it so I can't help out there.

I have an old 1st gen 5.1 Sony reciever and it can decode the Pro Logic mix pretty well. Watching Patton when it was AMC a while ago didn't sound too bad during the tank battles.