Vette or GTO?

clk1

Don't get me wrong...I like GTO's (I've considered getting one many times), and some of them can look mean. But, their overall appearence is very uninspiring imo. "Bland" if you will. I've seen some that look sick, the one in the pic you posted (I assume is yours) looks great. But, it just seems that GM neutered them on the styling side....especially when you copare it to something like a Vette.

I'll admit adding the Woodward hood, sunroof, wheels and lowering the front an inch made a big difference. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vette is only a good daily if you never have passengers, never need to go to the store, never need to take shit with you, and want to stand out all the time.and on top of that you are more likely to get a un beat on gto than a vette. Plus so many people still don't know what they are/ how good they are

I fully disagree on most of that.

- Vette is good for carrying one passenger. And for many people, that's all they really need. I went years just driving a 2-seater.

- Ask any GTO owner, the trunk is a total joke. The GTO really won't haul much more than the Vette. It's trunk won't hold what a Vette's hatch will, but add in the rear seat (no pass thru though), and you do get a little more space.

- It is VERY easy to find a non-beat Vette. Remember, a lot of older, show-car type folks on these cars. You'll find way more garage queen Vettes than GTO's.

I've spent a short time in a GTO, and a good amount of time in a C5, and I have to say C5 all the way. Don't get me wrong, I like the GTO, but for my performance dollar, I'll take the lighter car w/ more features and larger aftermarket.

Vendors just want to sell wheels and will suggest whatever because there are so few wheels that match the GTOs OEM spec. Some vendors also list the offset as +35mm also when it's +48mm. You can get a 5x120.65 on the car but you'll put extra stress on the lugs by spreading them and snap them in time. Going to a ARP stud would be advised if you went that route especially if your adding more hp.

By the way if you go to tirerack and specify wheels for the GTO it will show a 5x120 bolt pattern.

Also if you get a wheel with a 72mm hub you'll need some custom hub rings, like I show below, to fill the space so that you wheels are hub-centric and not lug-centric. You do not want the weight of the wheel only on the lugs..especially if you use a 120.65 bolt pattern.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/GTO1/IMG_0144.jpg

well, shit. thats good info. thanks man. still, the point of my post was that, for the same (allegedly) thing, they were going to charge me more when they thought i was a vette owner.