Frame sliders

thorne

Suggestions where to get them? Also the dealer told me to bring my bike back at 600 miles for a checkup that costs 240$. Is this normal or them just trying to make some extra cash off me.

BTW I LOVE THE BIKE. I know there are lots of faster bikes but I like that i can still sit up on this one.

it is a normal thing, they check the valves, oil change etc.

i know alot of people that dont do it, but i think it may have an affect on your warranty. so if you value your warranty go take it in.

check online for frame sliders, or go to iron pony.. ebay i think would be the cheapest. but not waiting, and no shipping cost might sway you towards iron pony.

i suggest stopping there anyway, they have alot of nice gear, and accesories on clearance right now.

i just picked up 2 half helmets for me and my wife for $20 a piece

you may have trouble finding some for the Katana that don't require cutting holes in the fairing to mount them (somewhat negates the point depending on your opinion). You definately don't want to cheap out on them. Stay away from companies such as Ligntning that just use little bolts that go through the existing fairing bolts. These will actually cause more damage to your bike than good. Vortex makes a good 2 piece unit that is very solid and worth checking out.

As for their effectiveness, they're mostly going to protect you from stupid slow speed stuff. Should you be moving your bike in the garage, or riding in a parking lot at low speed and do something stupid and drop the bike, it'll keep you from needing to replace your fairings..they may get scratched, but not broken. At most higher speeds, they're not going to do much unless you have an unobstructed path for the bike to slide on smooth pavement...I've yet to see this happen.

you may have trouble finding some for the Katana that don't require cutting holes in the fairing to mount them (somewhat negates the point depending on your opinion). You definately don't want to cheap out on them. Stay away from companies such as Ligntning that just use little bolts that go through the existing fairing bolts. These will actually cause more damage to your bike than good. Vortex makes a good 2 piece unit that is very solid and worth checking out.

As for their effectiveness, they're mostly going to protect you from stupid slow speed stuff. Should you be moving your bike in the garage, or riding in a parking lot at low speed and do something stupid and drop the bike, it'll keep you from needing to replace your fairings..they may get scratched, but not broken. At most higher speeds, they're not going to do much unless you have an unobstructed path for the bike to slide on smooth pavement...I've yet to see this happen.

I was thinking more of for the droppit in the drivway. Some jackass knock it over kinda thing.

Frame sliders are just that.. they are not designed to protect your plastics from a tip-over. They are designed to keep the frame off of the pavement as the bike slides after a get-off.

That said, they still usually help protect the plastics when knocked over, but still expect some cosmetic damage. The general consensus is that the sliders requiring drilling of your plastics are stronger than non-cut ones.

You can also get bar end and swingarm sliders if you wanted.

I bought mine from Motovation, shipped fast and look great, I'm going to install them this weekend. We should do it together, your's first for practice, lol. you never called me bitch!

I was thinking more of for the droppit in the drivway. Some jackass knock it over kinda thing.

That's pretty much what they'll protect you from. Which is good that you understand that up front. I've seen crashes where people laid the bike down on cheap frame sliders at about 30mph and it slid about 20 feet, then the bolt for the slider broke off, flipping the bike to the other side to continue the damage....sucks.

Good sliders will go into your engine mounting bolts - this is sometimes why you have to cut your fairings. If your engine mount bolts are behind the fairing, break out he holesaw. They are a good investment for stupidity like dropping your bike (which you will do if this is your first bike). Ask me how I know.

Thorne, I have a rear stand that might fit your bike if you are interested. You'll need a set of swingarm spools, but rear-stands are a useful thing to have. PM me if you are interested.

Check out http://katriders.com/forums/ and do a search for 'sliders'. One of the members there makes them, but you will need to register and then post to be able to get to the section where he sells them.

Good sliders will go into your engine mounting bolts - this is sometimes why you have to cut your fairings. If your engine mount bolts are behind the fairing, break out he holesaw. They are a good investment for stupidity like dropping your bike (which you will do if this is your first bike). Ask me how I know.

Thorne, I have a rear stand that might fit your bike if you are interested. You'll need a set of swingarm spools, but rear-stands are a useful thing to have. PM me if you are interested.

Check out http://katriders.com/forums/ and do a search for 'sliders'. One of the members there makes them, but you will need to register and then post to be able to get to the section where he sells them.

Rear stand? is that the same as a center stand? I shoot you a PM. I just registered for Katriders the other night. I will do a search there. Thanks for all the info.

And Matt sure we can cut your bike first ;)