1990 Honda Prelude Si Auto $400

RedLudeSH

This car was my daily driver for 2 years.

The Good:

Bought it with a snapped timing belt, and had a $600 Japanese replacement engine with 40K miles on it put in it for another $400 including new timing belt, water pump, and all other belts and hoses that you do when an engine is out. The transmission is great, havent had a problem, changed the tranny fluid last year. Do oil changes every 3,000-4,000 miles on it. Has 4 new(er) tires on it on the stock Si wheels. The front 2 have 30 miles on them, the rear a years worth of driving and have 90% tread on them. The front has new pads and rotors as of last summer. I just put a new front engine mount on it a couple weeks ago. Has a Jensen CD/MP3 player in it along with Pioneer speakers in the door and Jensen speakers in the rear.

The bad:

Needs piddly stuff I didn't feel like messing with. Needs new pads and rotors on both sides of rear. $60 for both a Pep Boys on Morse road and they have then in stock.

Needs a new rear wheel bearing on the driver side rear. $50 part then install requires paying someone with a press $10-$15 to press it out and press new one in.

The Cd/MP3 player likes to hold on to the CDs inside it, I have to press the eject button hard with a screwdriver for it to cought up the CD, but it does.

The Ugly:

Battery Kill switch installed in in front of the passanger seat, the battery drains overnight if left connected. Can't figure out why but then again haven't tried too hard. Just lived with not having radio presets and the clock acts more like a trip timer now than an actual clock :) Takes 12-13 hours to drain so its a slow drain. Always starts right up with a jump pack, that I kept in the car :)

The car cuts out while driving sometimes. It may happen twice in a day or it may not happen for weeks at a time, didn't happen once during the winter) You can put it in neutral and start it right back up again even while moving and it starts right away and is fine. More of a nusance than anything and the reason I bought a new daily driver. If there is one thing I cant stand it is electrical problems like this that are so intermitant and impossible to duplicate when needed. It appears to be tied to the battery draining problem, I have a voltage meter plugged into the cigarette lighter and it will read 13.0 to 14.0 but will go down to 9.0-10.0 all of the sudden and die, but start right back up like nothing happened. I just gave up. If your good with electrial troubleshooting then this car is a steal. Both the Auto tranny ECU and cars main ECU have been replaced to try to rememdy this.

The cars outside is hit, its a red car with a pink roof and hood. The passanger side door has a doughnut (think NASCAR) on it from a semi's tire. The paint is just not in any form good. The rust is minimal and in the typical Honda spot thou, its definately not rusting apart like most of these year Hondas you see.

The driver side door needs slammed to shut.

Honestly the car is worth the money in the engine, tranny, and tires alone. It is defiantely a beater and was used as such. If you can fix electrical problems then you'll have a car that runs forever the engine with the new T-belt and Water Pump are good to go for 80,000 more miles. It just needs the piddly crap fixed, hell with $50 and a trip to U-Wrench It you could prolly make it a decent looking car again too. Theres like 10 3rd gen Preludes there.

Anyway PM me if interested, no rush I already have a new daily driver.

• 3 weeks later...