5.0 oil pump shaft broke twice...

AI Coupe

Can't figure out what the problem could be. Replaced stock pump and shaft with a Melling +25% pump and hardened shaft. Less then 3000 miles and about 30 1/4 mile runs in the low 12's shaft broke again. Both times at the bottom of the distributor.

Both broken shafts look like a Barbers Pole (twisted), the first pump had a small piece, about 1/8" square of gasket material stuck in between the rotors, I haven't taken the second apart yet.

Anyone experienced this before in a 302sbf?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ron

I'll do the pump tonight and let you know. Pressure has always been good and I don't have a clue about the bearing clearances, we're not going to break it down until this winter.

I'll get back with you.

Ron

yep tight bearings plus extra oil = hydrolocked oil pump and busted gear, shaft, etc (whatever the weak link is) a fix for this if it happens with a stock pump is a bronze distributor gear that way when something seizes it just eats the gear and doesn't break anything gears are like 30-40 bucks through jegs if you go that route inspect the gear regulary and replace it when it starts to show wear wich will be fairly often if your breaking pump shafts

Dan (90gt) I think, broke his a few times, I think he bought a hardened oil pump shaft or heavy duty one.. I forget.. what the hell is with oil parts and mustangs always having issues lol Good luck hope works out!