grand prix again

kirks5oh

guys,

i just successfully fixed the head gasket on my '90 grand prix, and have run into a possible problem with the transmission?? the check engine light has been coming on and off, but when the car is on the freeway, it keeps downshifting, and upshifting at steady speeds (70-80mph) like its looking for a gear or something. then it fell on its face a few times at slower speeds when i hit the gas, and then jolted forward (almost felt like a neutral drop).

the tranny has plenty of fluid. the car has good oil pressure, and power. it is not running hot, or losing coolant/oil. i'm thinking of taking it into autozone to have the check engine code read, but it sounds like a tranny problem.

any thoughts?? this car is getting closer and closer to the grave

on the front right side of the tranny there is a 4 or 5 wire connector will be the only thing there thats plugs into. Unplug it and it will fix your problems. My 89 prix did the same thing. I did this and it drove fine. I forget exactly what causes it but its a solenoid pump or vavle that is sicking the proper fix is to open the tranny to correct it.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

i had been putting up with the annoyingness of this car so far. took it to autozone last week, and it threw a code identifying the coolant temp sensor. weird, because i had just changed it out when i did the head job on my car (i cracked the old sensor). i bought a new sensor, and installed it, and the problem appears to be fixed.

supposedly, the new sensor was messed up, and sending misinformation to the computer about the coolant temperature, and the computer was running 'open loop mode'--whatever the hell that means. so the car appears ok for now, with a guarded prognosis.

thanks for all the help/suggestions guys.

kirk