Fallen Biker candle light vigil

Venture Guy

Hey guys,

I am not sure if anyone knows but the other night there was a fatal motorcycle accident on Sunbury Road with an 18yr old high school student. I was involved in this tragedy. I recieved a phone call from Brian Rigsbys mother informing me there is a candlelight vigil at 10:15 the time of the accident. I wanted to post up to see if anyone would like to attend with me and ride over. I talked with Ben Stillman and he said he would join me with his fiance. I know this is last minute but i believe the parents and friends would appreciate the support.

If anyone would like to attend i will be at iron pony at 9:45 and then leave at 10pm to ride up to the area. My # is 330-904-7976 if anyone has any questions

Randy

the dispatch article had some more info:

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/05/25/cycle.ART_ART_05-25-07_B5_C16QPCJ.html

Separate crashes kill 2 seniors just shy of graduation

Classmates, officials at Big Walnut, Newark high schools mourn deaths of young men

Friday, May 25, 2007 3:22 AM

By Dana Wilson, John Futty and Tom Sheehan

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Two crashes cut short the lives of two central Ohio men just setting out on life after high school.

Big Walnut High School senior Joshua A. Simpson, 18, of Sunbury, died late Wednesday in a motorcycle crash in northern Franklin County.

Yesterday morning, Newark High School's Andrew Richards, the 18-year-old nephew of Newark Superintendent Keith Richards, died in a single-car crash in Licking County.

Simpson was to graduate next Wednesday from the Delaware Area Career Center's law-enforcement program. Andrew Richards, also a senior, was to wear his cap and gown June 3. Wednesday was his last scheduled day of school.

The teens' classmates mourned the sudden losses yesterday at a time when students should be celebrating end-of-year milestones.

"It was a sad, quiet day," said Chuck Workman, principal of Big Walnut High School. "I made an announcement explaining what had happened and obviously expressed our regrets."

Simpson was riding south on Sunbury Road just south of E. College Avenue about 11 p.m. Wednesday when he lost control of the motorcycle on a left-hand curve, said Westerville Police Sgt. Anthony Rudd. Simpson was pronounced dead at the scene.

His motorcycle struck a curb, went off the right side of the road and struck a fire hydrant as he was being thrown from the motorcycle.

Rudd said it appeared that Simpson was wearing a helmet, but it was knocked off during the crash.

Simpson was a novice motorcyclist who got his temporary learner's permit March 8. He planned to become a policeman and enlisted last year in the Army National Guard Reserve.

In the Licking County crash, Andrew Richards was traveling north on Rt. 13, just north of Smoots Road, about 10:30 a.m. yesterday when he passed a tractor-trailer and lost control of his Honda Civic, the State Highway Patrol said. The car went off the right side of the road, striking a hedgerow and a pine tree.

Andrew Richards, who was wearing a seat belt, died at the scene, troopers said. He was alone in the car.

"It's hard to express how deeply saddened the Newark City Schools family is by today's tragic accident," Assistant Superintendent Dan Montgomery said in a news release. "Andrew was a bright and spirited young man who will be terribly missed by all who knew him."

Keith Richards and his wife, Angie, became legal guardians of Andrew about five years ago, said school spokeswoman Karen Truett. The boy's parents are dead.

He was an honors student who planned to attend Arizona State University in the fall, Truett said.

dwilson@dispatch.com

jfutty@dispatch.com

tsheehan@dispatch.com

For additional health information, visit OhioHealth

• 3 weeks later...