Better than a radar detector?

Janszen

I have know about this police scanner for a while now and was wondering if it would be worth it. It has this feature called BearTracker it detects the antennas on police cars and can warn you of activity up to 3 miles away. There are two models out one it the BCT-10 which is older and the newer one is the BCT-15.

Here is a link to info on the BCT-15

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/0115.html

The older one BCT-10 is here

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCT-10-Highway-Information-Scanning/dp/B00005QT5H

What do you guys think of these and/or have any of you had or tried one..

Also I know there is at lease on police guy one here and I have a question,

Do you guys use short-range radios?

a long ago i heard of a system that you can buy that detects a police cars GPS signal or something that it sends out. It can display on a screen a map along with where all the police cars are. Also, its illegal, and might not even exist because ive only heard rumors. i want one though.

I drive to NJ monthly...you just need to be aware of the PA cops on 80 East. They shoot mainly radar in short bursts. They have some good hiding spots in the median...especially now that there are leaves on the trees. Sneaky fellows but somewhat easy to spot if you watch traffic and speed smart. Radar bursts are picked up easily on my V1.

I am going on a trip this summer to NJ, do you think it would be worth it to buy it? Also do you know anything about the BCT-15.

The BCT10 works in Ohio with the State troopers if they are on thier radios. Otherwise, you won't pick them up. It picks up on their trunk repeaters.

I have know about this police scanner for a while now and was wondering if it would be worth it. It has this feature called BearTracker it detects the antennas on police cars and can warn you of activity up to 3 miles away. There are two models out one it the BCT-10 which is older and the newer one is the BCT-15.

Here is a link to info on the BCT-15

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/0115.html

The older one BCT-10 is here

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCT-10-Highway-Information-Scanning/dp/B00005QT5H

What do you guys think of these and/or have any of you had or tried one..

Also I know there is at lease on police guy one here and I have a question,

Do you guys use short-range radios?

a long ago i heard of a system that you can buy that detects a police cars GPS signal or something that it sends out. It can display on a screen a map along with where all the police cars are. Also, its illegal, and might not even exist because ive only heard rumors. i want one though.

Yeah, I have herd of this to, some kid at my school claimed to have it but i never saw it. They were saying something about the black market and what not. Im going to look into it and see what I can come up with

just drive the speed limit like everyone else and you'll never need a radar detector or a scanner

QFT.

If you can't do that then get a CB, the truckers coming the opposite way know where the bears are.

I call BS on the GPS dealio. Because of how GPS works I'm not sure how it could work. I've though about this numerous times. Even discussed building a way to snif cops based on the frequency and gain.

Right now to my understanding the data connection is SSL128 Encrypted. If the car did report back with GPS Cords it would go across that tunnel.

If it reported back to the sky you would require line of site to the transmitter.

I could not find 1 discussion online about it in a quick google search. Also I thought police scanners were illegal in cars in ohio.

how this gadget works I could see working. Its not sniffing GPS signal its tracking based transmission. Atleast thats how I understand it. To track them with a map overlay would require triangulations

I am going on a trip this summer to NJ, do you think it would be worth it to buy it? Also do you know anything about the BCT-15.

if youre driving on the PA turnpike, you shouldnt have problems. i drive it a lot (i live in philly, but go to school in ohio). you will be able to tell where cops would hide. its normally right after the tunnels, or in the median after a hill. i think there were a lot more cops when i drove on rt 80, but you also dont have to pay the $20 toll that you would on the turnpike.

the other nice thing about 80 is unlike the turnpike, you have more options for food and gas without long lines. I hate the turnpike for that alone. cop wise, just be smart. although there are plenty of areas were you can burry the speedo and not worry to much either :) watch the sky though...they are up there too.

i think there were a lot more cops when i drove on rt 80, but you also dont have to pay the $20 toll that you would on the turnpike.

the other nice thing about 80 is unlike the turnpike, you have more options for food and gas without long lines. I hate the turnpike for that alone. cop wise, just be smart. although there are plenty of areas were you can burry the speedo and not worry to much either :) watch the sky though...they are up there too.

see, i dont like 80 because you have to get off the highway to get food. normally i do the whole thing only stopping once for gas... but yeah, on 80 i remember cops were mostly in the median.

(i do a steady 85, and ive done it probably 8 times, and i havent had problems yet *knocks on wood*.)

Honestly, fuck radar detectors and all that jazz. It is all about smart driving. I can usually drive 75-80+ on all trips just because I stay alert and drive smart.

Drive with a car in front of you and back who want to do the same speed you do, if not one or the other. That way, you only need to worry about looking towards the front or rear for police, because in most cases if someone is behind you they will get busted from cop in rear, cop from front, car in front.

Also, I just watch brake lights and oncoming traffic.

I used to have a radar detector and it just made me lazy and not alert. The reliability is too far off for me to rely on one heavily.

Then, if I don't feel like paying that close attention when driving (as in to brake lights up ahead and all that jazz) I just do 5-7 over.

Has worked for me fine. *knock on wood*

80 is the way on in...depending on where you go you'll be toll free the whole way. When you leave, again, depending on where from you may hit a $1 toll exiting from NJ to PA.

nice, good ideas... So whats the best way to get to jersey with out tolls... 80?